Retraining... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old December 5th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Retraining...

your brain to learn FCPX after 10 years of Sony Vegas use, is like learning to write while someone is beating you with a shovel. I feel better now.
Old December 6th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Retraining...

Haha, that's it, let it all out.

I completely understand your frustration. I've been learning all the ins and outs of Vegas for a while now, and recently was considering moving to Edius but thought, no way am I going to re-learn everything I did in Vegas all for the sake of having 'less crashes' which Vegas is notorious for!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Even if you decide to stick where you are software-wise, it would be smart to spend some time learning the nature of metadata wrangling as it applies to "in-program" edit operations.

To my mind, that's the huge groundbreaking part of FCP-X.

All the other software will eventually take note and increase their access to metadata that can be applied not just to overall clips, but portions of clips as with FCP-X.

It's the really transformative thing about X editing. And it only starts with having the capability built into the software - the next part of the puzzle is to train your brain to leverage it with solid and effective keyword search, sort and access strategies.

This is the process that turbo-charges your editing - because suddenly, you stop thinking about "scenes" or even "clips" and "where did I put that shot" and you start focusing on custom crafting usable editing assets from square one - knowing that you'll have any and every video creation resource at your fingertips when you sit down to edit.

That's why many of us early adopters will never go back to our old way of editing. It just feels WAY too sluggish and old-fashioned after you get accustomed to the new thinking.

FWIW.
Old December 11th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Bill, those are great insights. I look forward to FCPX and its evolution. I'm not so sure about Sony adopting anything since the platform has remained mostly unchanged since they bought it imo. I want FCPX to be my edito.......just waiting for some upgrades to it's tweakability.
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Steven,

I understand the desire to be cautious. But I have to say that this is a big change for any editor - and it's odd, because there are two layers to it.

The basic software operation is actually pretty simple. You can do a lot with it running it at a very basic level without much "deep" knowledge. The only requirement is that you adapt from the way NLE's traditionally worked and get to a point where you understand how X operates at a basic level.

Then theres the deep stuff. And I have to tell you it's remarkably deep. Not the functions, per se, but the implications of the functions. Giving a person a full-tilt database linked to clip ranges - means you have to eventually develop a robust database strategy if you want to go below the surface and unlock the power of the app. Similarly, having a truly robust under the hood asset batch re-naming system - requires you to start thinking about the philosophy you want to employ to name things. And those are just two of maybe two dozen fundamental changes that are waiting for you to adapt to.

Because of those depths, I really don't recommend that people wait too long before they switch if they're going to.

You can certainly start getting basic editing accomplished in a couple of weeks - and get pretty comfortable as a basic user in a couple of months - but I'm two and a half years into X and I still discover stuff nearly every week that I didn't fully understand until last Tuesday! And the more it develops, the more capabilities it embodies, the more time it will take editors to learn it's depths.

At some level, those who did take the plunge are moving farther and farther ahead into what some of us feel will be a solid competitive advantage as X editors in the coming years.

What I'm saying is don't wait too long. While you're waiting for it to be "more perfect" there are quite literally hundreds of thousands of editors (based on Apple's own sales numbers) out there around the world who are NOT waiting. And they're liable to be ahead of you for the seats that will be filled in the years to come.

Just food for thought.
Old December 15th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Major Player

my brain to FCPX through the new iMovie in Mavericks. No it is not the same, but it seems to be based on the same kind of principle. It does not have anywhere near the same power but sort of gets me used to the interface.

When I can afford FCPX, I think I will find it an easier transition than FCE, on which I have sort of given up.

(This is me saying, "Give me a USP that will get the cost passed the Chancellor of the Exchequer" (wife)!)
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #7
Major Player

I learned on Avid, got into Vegas in Version 4, tried Premiere and FCP Studio (and hated both). I stuck with Vegas even when I switched to Mac six years ago. But FCPX came along and I tried it mostly because the FCP7 fanboys hated it. I got hooked. It was remarkably easy to make the transition and it had a lot of similarities to Vegas. I've used it exclusively since, and now I have no reason to put any PC garbage on my Macs.

I think I need to get a new Mac, however. I've gotten so fast on FCPX that sometimes I have to wait a bit for the computer to catch up with me.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
your brain to learn FCPX after 10 years of Sony Vegas use, is like learning to write while someone is beating you with a shovel. I feel better now.
I know exactly how you feel!

There are a few things I really love about FCPX:
Color correction, I can't explain the difference, but it takes only a few seconds to make my videos look better in FCPX, whereas in Vegas, I often made them look worse.

Titles are very easy to use. I'm somewhat of an amateur and I find the all the templates in FCPX look professional and elegant, the title templates in vegas usually look cheeses, unless you really know what you are doing.

No matter what I do to the video in FCPX the preview window is always sharp, and 30fps.

Now the shovel part...
Why are all the cool logic plugins hidden? Why aren't they in the EQ section like every other daw ever made?

Why did FCPX create 100 gigs of temp files on my system drive? Why didn't it allow me to put them on the 4TB hard drive that the rest of the project is on?

How do I color correct a whole track?

I've committed a month to learn the program and see if I can live with a mac as my primary OS. Nothing has made me appreciate the flexibility and ease of use of Win7 more than my past few days on a Mac.

The lure of the Mac is way the trackpad interacts with the OS, and my false notion that any video format will play flawlessly in QT on a Mac. It turns out that my Sony AVCHD files aren't even recognized on the mac. Thankfully FCPX can use them.

~Jay
Jay Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morrissette View Post
I know exactly how you feel!

There are a few things I really love about FCPX:
Color correction, I can't explain the difference, but it takes only a few seconds to make my videos look better in FCPX, whereas in Vegas, I often made them look worse.

Titles are very easy to use. I'm somewhat of an amateur and I find the all the templates in FCPX look professional and elegant, the title templates in vegas usually look cheeses, unless you really know what you are doing.

No matter what I do to the video in FCPX the preview window is always sharp, and 30fps.

Now the shovel part...
Why are all the cool logic plugins hidden? Why aren't they in the EQ section like every other daw ever made?

Why did FCPX create 100 gigs of temp files on my system drive? Why didn't it allow me to put them on the 4TB hard drive that the rest of the project is on?

How do I color correct a whole track?

I've committed a month to learn the program and see if I can live with a mac as my primary OS. Nothing has made me appreciate the flexibility and ease of use of Win7 more than my past few days on a Mac.

The lure of the Mac is way the trackpad interacts with the OS, and my false notion that any video format will play flawlessly in QT on a Mac. It turns out that my Sony AVCHD files aren't even recognized on the mac. Thankfully FCPX can use them.

~Jay
The plug-ins are there but not all called EQ despite their apparent function. Some are in the Levels folder. Go figure.

The 100gb of temp files are a mystery to me. It never did anything like that on my computers.

Two immediate ways to color correct an entire track:
1) select the entire timeline and turn the selected clips into a compound clip - color correct the compound clip.
2) correct an individual clip on the timeline, preferably the first one. After correcting to your satisfaction, copy the clip. Then select all the other clips that need the same correction and press shift/Cmd V. A window comes up which allows you to pick all or some of the adjustments from the first clip (this includes filters, audio, image transformations, etc.) and apply them to everything selected.

Sony files are always difficult for some reason. Try MPEGStreamclip (free) or VLC (also free) to view the raw files.
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

I keep hearing about this magical metadata functionality. Is this really that important/big of a deal if youre NOT doing long form projects where you need to find random bits of footage? Much of my work is corporate presentations where people lecture for an hour+ at a time, and i will edit in powerpoint slides, sometimes cut between two cams, cut out the garbage (5 minute coughing fit, lectern catches on fire has to be put out, raccoons run off with the projector, etc.), tweak audio to even out levels, minor color correction if needed. Do you think fcpx can speed up THOSE types of projects compared to 7?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:02 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
I keep hearing about this magical metadata functionality. Is this really that important/big of a deal if youre NOT doing long form projects where you need to find random bits of footage? Much of my work is corporate presentations where people lecture for an hour+ at a time, and i will edit in powerpoint slides, sometimes cut between two cams, cut out the garbage (5 minute coughing fit, lectern catches on fire has to be put out, raccoons run off with the projector, etc.), tweak audio to even out levels, minor color correction if needed. Do you think fcpx can speed up THOSE types of projects compared to 7?
I agree. It think they're tailoring FCP towards people who have large databases of commercial stock footage, or TV stations that have archives. I'm a Vegas user, so it'll be a while before I switch.
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:09 AM   #12
Slash Rules!

Don't get me wrong. I'm trying to poo all over the software. I'm very curious about it; it's very affordable, and it's also basically the only Mac option left since Adobe went all subscription-y on us. I just don't know what the big deal with metadata is for the kind of project I describe above of the short films I make. Documentaries or something, sure, but not all of us work on things like that.
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Do you think fcpx can speed up THOSE types of projects compared to 7?
Hi Josh.

Yes.

I do a lot of corporate video (with quite a bit of After Effects work added to the timeline) but, like you, don't have a real need for the extra metadata functions (although I appreciate the fact that it's available if I ever do need it). I pretty much organize my live footage and animated clips the same way I did with FCP 6, keeping them in separate folders in the Finder as I create them and then importing the folders into FCP X. This works for me only because I'm self-contained with what I do.

However, I find editing on FCP X to be super-fast compared to FCP 6 or PPro.

Once you get used to it, there's no comparison. For fast editing in the timeline itself, it kind of predicts how you need to work and just does it. In my case, I might have to cut in over 100 clips into the timeline in very rapid fashion to make the deadline and FCP X handles it like the proverbial hot knife cutting through butter.

If you are only spending 2 or 3 hours per week in editing at the moment, then you might not really need or notice the speed-up that FCP X can bring. But, if you find yourself having to spend a four or five-day stint in editing to wrap up a project, then you'll notice it big-time!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 02:13 AM   #14
Slash Rules!

Hard to say. After all, these are hour+ (often) lectures, sometimes a full day's or several days' worth (around the fire in our log cabin, I tell other people's grandchildren, since I don't have my own, the tale of the 2011 shoot that was 9 hours a day, two cams, for a solid week, where anyone in the crowd could at any time ask a question, which often evolved into multi-minute discussions between audience members--none properly mic'd of course--and how I had to edit all that together).
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks William, that's very helpful.

The mystery 100GBs of files I'm pretty sure were proxy and other render files. I still don't quite understand how to set up a project where I can easily define where all the media goes.

On the positive side, I made my first video tonight. It's just a silly video of a girl I know working a speed bag. To my surprise, all my 3rd party audio plugins from Waves and iZotope were in FCPX!

The learning curve will be steep, but I'm slowly starting to like it.

~Jay
Jay Morrissette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X