DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Managing media !0.1.1

Help!

I'm by no means a thicky, but does anyone have a simple solution for backing up my projects to an external Hard drive. I edit on the fly with my laptop and then finish in the studio. I'm just lost with all the long drawn out advice on how to do this now. So to be clear I want to be able to edit projects on 2 computers - or at least back-up projects with the media files I've used included.

many thanks form one confused !0.1 user
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Managing media !0.1.1

problem 2:

One of my projects on one hard drive is crashing FCP X. Therefore I can't open that event library, therefore I have essentially lost the projects in that library.

Issue 3: My event libraries are huge.
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Dave,
Just to be clear - you start off editing on your laptop - do you import media to its hard drive, or to an external disk?
Regarding Library size, I started off with some pretty big libraries, but the reorganised by creating a new empty library, and using FPCX to move events and projects from the old to the new.

I organised by job - i.e. 1 job, 1 library, with its events and projects.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

HI and thanks

I use files on an external hard drive and some projects on the internal. I guess I'm just longing for a save project function with - include used media - option. So simple , small and nice. in the mean time I need to be able to swap machines and edit the same project. and also back things up

I also don't understand how, if say I'm doing a showreel project, I pluck media from different events and back it up for both laptop and imac. Anyway I tried this and it seems using media from different libraries crashes the program.
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Major Player

I would certainly suggest using an external drive only - like one of the LaCie drives with the rubber surround.Even when editing on my laptop, I import footage on to one, making it easy to carry on on the iMac, just by swapping the disk over.

The only thing you need to watch is having the same plug-ins, and effects on both machines.
All the media resides in the event, and therefore library - you can edit between libraries, but unless you have the media stored ¨remote¨ i.e.in a separate folder on your drive, FCPX will copy media from the library it resides in, to the one you are editing on,

A good way to catch up, is by viewing the MacBreak weekly episodes on media management by Steve and Mark.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X