DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   FCP X plugins (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/522154-fcp-x-plugins.html)

Sabyasachi Patra March 10th, 2014 04:11 AM

FCP X plugins

I am searching for good plugins which will work for FCP X. For effects and titles etc is Motion the best bet or will you guys recommend some other better plugin?

Dave Partington March 10th, 2014 09:45 AM

Re: FCP X plugins

Motion isn't a plugin itself, it's a graphics program that can create templates used within FCPX. Some plug-ins are designed in Motion, others are not.

If you're looking to create titles etc then Motion is a great place to start, but as with anything remotely powerful you have to be prepared for the learning curve and probably look in to some training, like Ripple Training as an example.

Steven Davis March 18th, 2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra (Post 1836273)
I am searching for good plugins which will work for FCP X. For effects and titles etc is Motion the best bet or will you guys recommend some other better plugin?

I picked these up, mTransition Bundle - 150 Final Cut Pro X Transitions in One Bundle. - motionVFX I've been pretty happy with them. They're not insanly priced like some of the other stuff.

David Dixon March 20th, 2014 12:13 PM

I also like MotionVFX, although some of their templates are pretty expensive.

Check out FxFactory.com. They sell a variety of plugins, mostly quite reasonable. You can install demos and try them out.

And you must check out alex4d.com. It's Alex Gollner, a UK based editor who creates really useful utility plugins for his work needs, and then posts them all online. And, they're all free - he just doesn't want the hassle of tech support so he gives them all away.

David Knaggs March 25th, 2014 05:36 PM

The thing I like about MotionVFX is that, with their mLowers bundle (Lower Thirds), they provide them so that you can easily modify them for your needs in Motion 5 and then they are always ready for your use (in the FCP X Titles Browser) in FCP X. Typically, I've been doing lower thirds in After Effects (buying a template for each project in VideoHive) and then exporting them as movies for ingest into FCP X.

Yesterday, I decided to use Motion 5 for the first time ever and modified two of the mLowers for my exact needs. I was very happy with the results in FCP X and it saved so much time by creating the lower thirds directly in the timeline!

So, while I agree with David that MotionVFX can seem expensive as a one-off payment, it can depend on your frequency of use. If you were, say, buying a template on VideoHive for use in a project, you'd have to pay for that template again and again (per their licensing agreement) each time you used it in a different end product. Whereas companies like MotionVFX only get the one-off payment, because it's an actual plug-in for FCP X that you will use all the time as part of the editing program (for any number of end products).

I guess it just depends on your needs and frequency of use.

And that's what I'm liking so much about this new (to me) Motion 5 to FCP X template workflow. It's really suiting me!