DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old March 10th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP X plugins

I am searching for good plugins which will work for FCP X. For effects and titles etc is Motion the best bet or will you guys recommend some other better plugin?
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: FCP X plugins

Motion isn't a plugin itself, it's a graphics program that can create templates used within FCPX. Some plug-ins are designed in Motion, others are not.

If you're looking to create titles etc then Motion is a great place to start, but as with anything remotely powerful you have to be prepared for the learning curve and probably look in to some training, like Ripple Training as an example.
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
I am searching for good plugins which will work for FCP X. For effects and titles etc is Motion the best bet or will you guys recommend some other better plugin?
I picked these up, mTransition Bundle - 150 Final Cut Pro X Transitions in One Bundle. - motionVFX I've been pretty happy with them. They're not insanly priced like some of the other stuff.
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I also like MotionVFX, although some of their templates are pretty expensive.

Check out FxFactory.com. They sell a variety of plugins, mostly quite reasonable. You can install demos and try them out.

And you must check out alex4d.com. It's Alex Gollner, a UK based editor who creates really useful utility plugins for his work needs, and then posts them all online. And, they're all free - he just doesn't want the hassle of tech support so he gives them all away.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Major Player

The thing I like about MotionVFX is that, with their mLowers bundle (Lower Thirds), they provide them so that you can easily modify them for your needs in Motion 5 and then they are always ready for your use (in the FCP X Titles Browser) in FCP X. Typically, I've been doing lower thirds in After Effects (buying a template for each project in VideoHive) and then exporting them as movies for ingest into FCP X.

Yesterday, I decided to use Motion 5 for the first time ever and modified two of the mLowers for my exact needs. I was very happy with the results in FCP X and it saved so much time by creating the lower thirds directly in the timeline!

So, while I agree with David that MotionVFX can seem expensive as a one-off payment, it can depend on your frequency of use. If you were, say, buying a template on VideoHive for use in a project, you'd have to pay for that template again and again (per their licensing agreement) each time you used it in a different end product. Whereas companies like MotionVFX only get the one-off payment, because it's an actual plug-in for FCP X that you will use all the time as part of the editing program (for any number of end products).

I guess it just depends on your needs and frequency of use.

And that's what I'm liking so much about this new (to me) Motion 5 to FCP X template workflow. It's really suiting me!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X