DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 11th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Request for Confirmation On FCP Media Management

Hey folks,

I'm new to both Apple and FCPX. All previous editing was done in Windows using Adobe Premiere. I've read through the help files and some tutorials and I really just want to confirm something for peace of mind.

Setup Info: Mac Mini with 16 GBs RAM, 256 GB SSD drive for OS and Apps, 1 TB internal for Data. I also have an external 2TB drive with my original footage and another 2TB drive for backups. I am editing a travel documentary on Baja California.

I have created a Library called Baja California for the production. Within that Library I have created the events Northern Baja, Central Baja and Southern Baja so that I can break down the production into manageable sections.

What I'd really like to know is when I import my footage into these events does FCPX import the original, raw footage into the Library without making any modifications to it? For example, if I have imported all of the footage required can I then disconnect the external drive that the footage came from?

When I import a file the settings are to Copy Files in X Library (which answers my question) but I also have Create Optimized Media under Transcoding. Does the import process copy the original AND create an optimized version of the original?

I'm hoping this isn't too daft a question but I want to make sure I'm doing it right from the get go. Thank in advance for any help.

Scott
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Request for Confirmation On FCP Media Management

Simple answer. FCPX is transcoding the footage into ProRes files and placing it into the Library. This will increase the size of the files about three times (depending on the kind of camera files your have) so be careful how much you import. If your MacMini can play the original files and your edit is mostly cuts and dissolves with few additional filters then you can possible avoid the optimization process. If you do that FCPX will import the original files but alter the file container to facilitate playback in an editing setting. These files will play everywhere but are not the original camera files anymore.

After import and editing, you can easily backup the entire library to another drive by drag and drop although it's better to back up from within FCPX.
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for the detailed response William. So I do some colour correction and a few other basic things to the shots but not much else. My best bet is to import without transcoding, disconnect the original source drive and then let FCPX manage backups to my backup drive? This will save me space on the internal drive.

If my OS or my internal drive were to ever fail OR if I upgraded to a new Mac, all I would need to do is reinstall FCPX and open the library again. Everything needed and all work would still be in that library file. If that's the case then I think I'm going to like working with FCPX.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Generally you should keep your projects on external drives if you work on a lot of them at once. The internal drive can fill up quickly unless you are working on short projects mostly.
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again for the advice WIlliam. I think I've got it all sorted. Moved everything around and freed up one of the 2 TB externals just for editing. Thank goodness for USB 3. Now to find a nice little RAID 1 enclosure that can hold 2 X 2 TB drives and I'll feel more secure.
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X