Connecting to DV/DVCam Deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 26th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Connecting to DV/DVCam Deck

I just installed Final Cut Pro 10.1.2 and haven't been able to get the software to recognize my Sony DSR-40. This is the first time I've had Final Cut Pro X on this computer.

The deck is properly connected to my Mac Mini - it can be seen by both Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 and by After Effects 5.5.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Connecting to DV/DVCam Deck

X does support hardware deck control, but only via third party translators from companies like BlackMagic or AJA.

I suspect that knowing tape transport was something that very few of their customers would care about going forward, Apple left it to other vendors to implement and support it.

The software has the ability to generate and respond to deck control commands, but perhaps Apple didn't really want to take the time to train their phone support people to field calls from folks who couldn't get their aging hardware to play nicely?
Old July 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Connecting to DV/DVCam Deck

My DSR-11 and JVC DV decks play fine with FCPX without third party extensions. That is for capturing, not print to video. I seem to remember some sort of issue with the DSR40 FireWire control years ago but perhaps I am confusing it with some other deck. The deck should come up in the import window at the top of the list. Check to see if the deck is recognized in the Apple System Info program under FireWire. If you can see the deck in System Info but FCPX still doesn't recognize it perhaps you should try ScopeBox for capturing or even FCP7 and then import the files into FCPX.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X