Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old September 1st, 2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Green screen live possible?

Hi all,

Is it possible via Macpro/FCPX to have a live green screen like they have on the weather. I'd like to use the live view to test lighting etc. So if I could preview the green screen live, then I could make adjustments.

I found the Wirecast software, but I was wondering if I can do live keying/overlay in FCPX. Also found this. http://www.dvdxdv.com/NewFolderLookS...peLive.try.htm

Thanks in advance.
Old September 1st, 2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Green screen live possible?

No. Final Cut Pro is an edit system, it does not do live video output. You would have to capture, edit, render, and export.

To do live chroma keying, you need to use a switcher. Either a computer-based solution like Wirecast or Tricaster, or a standalone system like Blackmagic's ATEM switchers, or something more professional like Ross or Grass Valley.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Either you import test footage into FCPX to see how it's working or you get into a complex set-up. The simplest would be to get a low cost HDMI/SDI to Thunderbolt converter, the Blackmagic Designs UltraStudio MiniRecorder is one I am familiar with. I use this for live webcasts with chromakey using the Wirecast Studio for YouTube Pro version. You can use it (maybe the free version as well) to check the key. If the key works there you know it will work in FCPX later during editing.

BlackMagic Designs has free video recorder software for recording high quality video directly to your computer but it doesn't have chroma key. These files will be better for complex keys but they will be much larger than the files out of your camera.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks William and Ed. I just built a studio and am pretty excited about the video capabilities. I want to do talking head commercials in it.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Hey Steven,

If you have or can get ahold of one of the modern LCD monitors like those from Marshall that have a "False color" display mode, it's super easy to set up chroma key backgrounds using it.

Just put the monitor into false color mode and adjust the lighting until the lighting yields a solid color across the green screen.

Then bring in the subject and light them separately.

You can check to see if your subject lighting has spill on the GS, and if not, you're good to go.

I seldom even use a picture any more to set up my green screen shots.

FWIW.
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think I'm going to buy this and see how it goes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892453-REG/Blackmagic_Design_bdlkulsdzminrec_Ultrastudio_Mini_Recorder.html
The BH dude said I could get this, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766072-REG/Blackmagic_Design_SWATEMTVSTU_ATEM_Television_Studio_Production.html
but that's a mortgage payment lol.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X