Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old September 4th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCPX not matching original footage

Hi all,
I have been using PP5.5 but I am interested in moving over to FCPX. I shoot with a Canon XF100, and use the Canon Utility to import my clips. When I import to PP5.5, the clips match very closely to the originals, but when I import to FCPX using the Canon plugin, the clips seem very washed out. I am sure there is a way in FCPX to fix this (although I don't know it yet), but it would be a lot easier for me if there was a way to adjust the import or change some setting to make it match from the start. Has anyone any ideas on this? I've added a screen shot showing the original clip viewed in the Canon XF Utility on the left, with the clip imported into FCPX on the right. Thanks
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
FCPX not matching original footage-screen-shot-2014-09-04-10.40.27-am.png  
Scott Hiddelston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FCPX not matching original footage

I also use FCPX and the XF100 and XF Utility. I've never noticed this before since I shoot very flat in-camera so I can get the exposure/saturation/sharpness, etc. I want in post.

However, yes, the imported clip looks flatter in FCPX. First, do you have FCPX set to display at Best Quality or Best Performance in the Timeline? That might affect it. And how do we know which is accurate - XF Utility or Final Cut? And what to compare it to, the playback of the originals on the LCD? I also have a freeware MXF Player - playing the clip back directly from the CF Card with that is slightly different as well. It's not quite as flat as Final Cut, but much closer to FCPX than to the look in XF Utility.

I didn't take the time to fire up Davinci Resolve (I have the free version but don't really use it) but that might also be an objective high quality source to compare.

I love and use XF Utility all the time, but it's essentially a archiving utility that Canon gives away with the camera. I use it to make backups and Virtual Archives, and the details of the camera settings used are an excellent resource to refer to in adjusting picture settings. However, I would personally not rely on it being as accurate as FCPX on displaying clips.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I've not experienced that issue with FCPX, but if I had I would give this a try Finishing Plugin, an easy to use enhancement effect for Final Cut Pro - FCPeffects - Final Cut Pro X Plugins & Effects - FX for FCPX
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you David and Charles. I will give your suggestions a try. I'll see how the footage looks in mxf viewer and compare. Thanks again.
Scott Hiddelston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X