FCP X 10.1.4 is released. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Trustee

FCP X 10.1.4 is released.

Earthshaking for the Broadcast community. Not so much for anyone else.

Full MXF Import/Export Support - which will make large News operations around the world giddy with delight.

Plus any shooters using Canon C300/500s, Sony MXF Cams and anyone else with an MXF based workflow.

(No more clip wrapping, everything just imports and works as native AND you can Export MXF for air or deliverables.)

For the rest of us, we need to wait for the usual PreNAB release. So hold your breath for another 90 days.

That is all.
Old December 4th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: FCP X 10.1.4 is released.

I'm experiencing an interesting situation with this new particular update. My computer has two start-up disks. One is dedicated to my audio and video editing programs. Basically, the OS and all programs are fresh installs. Also, it rarely sees the internet except to upgrade programs. The other start-up disk is used for the usual day-to-day stuff including internet use and the use of non-audio/video programs. Because I can, BOTH start-up disks have Final Cut Pro X. Both start-up disks have OS X 10.10.1. Interestingly, the start-up disk dedicated to my audio/video programs informed me of the new FCP X update. The other didn't. When on my "regular-everyday" start-up disk, I've repeatedly checked for any program updates and it continues to say that there are none available. It still reads FCO X 10.1.3. I wonder why??

I did install the latest Pro Video Formats to both start-up disks. I wonder if this has anything to do with anything.

My "obsessive-compulsiveness" wants both start-up disks to have the same versions of anything and everything they may have in common in terms of programs. Regardless, I'm able to edit my modest video projects using FCP X 10.4.something on either start-up disk without issue. (Yes, I'm a fan of FCP X.)
Old December 4th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Ed - It may be that "Software Update" is looking for a computer, not a start-up disk, to notify that there's an update available.

I've got a similar situation. My Mac Pro has an old hard drive in bay 3 that had FCPX and OSX on it and it never "gets notified". However, my other two computers that have the installs do get notified of updates. It appears the notification is based on the computer I.D. and not based on what it sees on the hard drives.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Major Player

FCPX is steadily getting everything that is important. I hope that in the next release they show some love for audio.
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Ed - It may be that "Software Update" is looking for a computer, not a start-up disk, to notify that there's an update available.

I've got a similar situation. My Mac Pro has an old hard drive in bay 3 that had FCPX and OSX on it and it never "gets notified". However, my other two computers that have the installs do get notified of updates. It appears the notification is based on the computer I.D. and not based on what it sees on the hard drives.
I solved the "problem", I think. Using Disk Utility, I unmounted the other start-up disk then I checked for updates. It worked and now both start-up disks have the latest version of Final Cut Pro X. It truly satisfies that "Obsessive-Compulsive" drive! LOL!

Last edited by Ed Fiebke; December 6th, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Ed Fiebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
FCPX is steadily getting everything that is important. I hope that in the next release they show some love for audio.
how about showing some love for cinema-dmg/raw?

blackmagic and apple should be friends!

ymmv

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Katz View Post
how about showing some love for cinema-dmg/raw?

blackmagic and apple should be friends!

ymmv

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc
I'll second that.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Trustee

Those two can definitely be friends. Black Magic and AJA - not so much I think!
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #9
Major Player

I'll third cinema dng raw. Right now its a bag of hurt trying to get it into FCP X
Old December 26th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #10
Austinite

I keep thinking about sticking my toe in the water with FCP X. I haven't doe it yet. Trying hard to ween myself from FCP7 and get into Premiere... and the the NFR of hitfilm3 arrived... Hmmm....
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Trustee

Hi Phil,

Be careful. Once X "clicks" for you - you'll never go back.

The key is to take the journey like you're learning a completely new language. Do not keep listening for the words that are nearly the same. Instead, learn the new grammar up front. There are a lot of tutorials out there, but you really do have to start at the top end of the workflow and understand each stage before you move on to the next. Learn IMPORT first. Then move to Keywording and the database system. Only AFTER you do all that and have a decent concept of the these areas - should you toss anything onto a storyline and start to do what traditional editors think about as "editing." Part of the changed thinking is that the work you do in the Event Browser via range selection IS editing. If you do that carefully, then a huge amount of your editing can often already be done when you get to the storyline. Once in the Storyline, drill yourself for a while on the keyboard shortcuts. Start with the single keystroke stuff centered around your left hand (Q,W,E,R,T,A, and sometimes D. and how they work with the standard transport keys of JKL and the Spacebar. These set modes and allow you to navigate to positions - then insert the ranges you've set up in the database in various way. Don't fight the magnetism. Learn how it works and embrace it. It's amazing when you do.

Then move on to the "two key" shortcuts and eventually to the more complex stuff.

Those are the basics.

As I noted at the start, there will be a moment sooner or later when everything about X just "clicks" and you'll really never want to go back to non-magnetic, non-database driven editing again.

My 2 cents.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X