Question about opening a back up project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about opening a back up project

I have several back up projects that have no library associated with them. Is there any way to ever see these projects again?
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Question about opening a back up project

Gary, can you describe it a bit more?

Were these older files from prior to FXP X 10.1?

Or did you save out Projects from within a Library, but then delete the parent Library?

Did you try making a new blank Library and copying the Project into it?

Did you try clicking on the Project and seeing if you can Open Package Contents to see what files are in it?

Can't really understand how to help until I know more about what's happening.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I haven't understood this archive system from the jump.
It's embarrassing.
I was looking for an old project. Found it in the movies folder. 150 back up projects and not a library anywhere.
I have no idea how to make a blank library.
When I click on the project I get the ole Text Editor.
I won't be at the work computer till Friday so I can't try anything till then.

My archive system is simply saving the 'bundle'(?) to 5 different drives, hoping to never find myself in the situation I'm in now.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The backups are only the project and related metadata for an Event bundle which contains the entire media package, if we are talking older versions of FCPX. If the Event bundle is gone along with the associated media files then I would say the project is likely lost. If you can open the backup project and the lost media files are listed, you can try to relink which will give the info where the original files were stored. If you still have the original media files, you can rebuild the project regardless of where the files are stored now.
For newer versions of FCPX which have the Library bundle, the same applies. If you still have the camera files the project should be recueable.
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Trustee

Gary,

X was fundamentally changed in the transition to FCP X 10.0x to FCP X 10.1x. The most radical change was the introduction of Libraries. It's now a required overall bucket inside of which all your editing assets reside.

You can't have an Event or a Project now, unless they reside inside a Library.

The Library is represented by the purple icon composed of 4 smaller purple star icons which represent Events.

If you were working with FCP X prior to the introduction of Libraries, and you updated, then there weren't any Libraries for X to divide your Events and Projects into, so X simply put all your prior work into one big default event. That's probably what you're seeing.

Some folks like keeping clients or types of jobs separated into separate Libraries. Others like working with one large one - and separating projects into Events - thats for the user to figure out.

The major deal with Libraries is that since EVERYTHING lives inside them - then when you duplicate or move them - everything inside them goes along for the ride. It makes collaborative editing much easier.

So basically, figure out how you want to store things, then as with traditional folders, TARGET where you want your work to live, before you move or create things. Simple as that.
Old December 30th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Major Player

OK guys, first, thx for your explanations.

Not sure how I got here but in reading the explanations I somehow extrapolated that if I opened the 'package contents' of my 2013 LIBRARY (which I created before knowing what that did, never again) and dragged all of my 'backup projects' into the 'updated projects' folder and launched the 2013 Library.

All my back up projects showed up and since I do keep all my raw video I was able to relink the video on a random project. So thanks for all the help.

Happy New Year!
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X