DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Large Macintosh HD's project and Events (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/526365-large-macintosh-hds-project-events.html)

Steven Davis January 8th, 2015 12:00 PM

Large Macintosh HD's project and Events

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I started using Final Cut Pro X a year ago. And after a while I realized I needed to create libraries. So while cleaning my machine for 2015, I came across my Macintosh HD's project and Events which is a whopping 819.79 gb. Sigh. So I'm not sure who to fix it.

William Hohauser January 8th, 2015 02:23 PM

Re: Large Macintosh HD's project and Events

Create new libraries and use the "Move" command to send selected Events and Projects to the new library. I did that as soon as FCPX had libraries.

Steven Davis January 8th, 2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1873044)
Create new libraries and use the "Move" command to send selected Events and Projects to the new library. I did that as soon as FCPX had libraries.

Thanks William...

Steven Davis January 8th, 2015 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I moved the projects out, but it's still large... I attached a screen shot. That police demo is nothing....

John C. Chu January 8th, 2015 09:49 PM

If you right click that FCPX library and "Show Package Contents"--- You can see what makes that library so large:

You may or may not have the Original Media files, (it depends if you copied the original files into the library itself), the optimized transcoded Media, and the Rendered files.

To save space, you could delete rendered files but FCPX would re-render them if you have it set to automatically render.

*Do this from within the program itself.*

Otherwise, just archive the whole library--I just copy the whole library to another hard drive and you are done. (Or alternately move each event to a different library) You want to keep this library for the future right?

I have a eSATA hard drive dock, and I just archive/copy the libraries to a bare drive and then put the drives away.

These guys have some great info:

Media management in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2

William Hohauser January 9th, 2015 04:34 AM

Projects contain very little data if you don't render. The event is containing the majority of your data. Did you optimize the footage on import? This is all one project?

Steven Davis January 9th, 2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1873096)
Projects contain very little data if you don't render. The event is containing the majority of your data. Did you optimize the footage on import? This is all one project?

This large file is probably when I first started using FCPX, who know what I did trying to figure the software out. I might move that library to a drive since I have no idea what it is. I know my current work are on different libraries than this one.