Key Framed color correction? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Key Framed color correction?

Is there a way to adjust the color, luma and hue over time with key frames in a single clip? I don't work with Final Cut X on a regular basis so I'm still bumping my head against the wall on trying to do what should be a simple thing. Am I crazy in thinking I should be able to set key frames for changing luminance in a clip? I can't seem to find any tutorials out on YouTube for this specific question. Can anyone give me a hint?.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a scene where the actor is silhouetted against a bright background. I want to raise the luminance as the clip plays to give a blinding light effect. I tried to do a slow dissolve to a white background but it just isn't the same as blowing out the mids and highlights and leaving the blacks in the dirt. I know I can do this easily in Premiere CS6 but can't figure out how to do it in FCX.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Key Framed color correction?

Simple way:

Copy the clip and paste it over itself. Apply the adjustment to the overlay clip and dissolve the effect on.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Major Player

The approach I use:

HyColour PRO - Complete Colour Grading for FCPX HY-FX

HyColour Pro - excellent $45 plugin that gives many more options than the FCPX Color Board, and everything is keyframeable. It will do color correction, exposure correction, sharpening, saturation, vignettes, etc.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Simple way:

Copy the clip and paste it over itself. Apply the adjustment to the overlay clip and dissolve the effect on.
I'll give that a try. I think that will work in this instance as I just need to make a change in the exposure as the clip plays. Thanks.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
The approach I use:

HyColour PRO - Complete Colour Grading for FCPX HY-FX

HyColour Pro - excellent $45 plugin that gives many more options than the FCPX Color Board, and everything is keyframeable. It will do color correction, exposure correction, sharpening, saturation, vignettes, etc.
I just spent a few minutes watching the tutorial and reading. It looks really good. Is everything keyframeable? I only saw reference to the mask and a few other features as keyframeable on the web site but couldn't find confirmation that all parameters were able to be key framed. It still looks like a better way to color correct than the built in corrector. Will the built in scopes in FCX still work with HyColour Pro? Thanks
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes to all your questions!

Practically everything is keyframeable - color balance, exposure, highlights, mids, shadows, saturation, etc. - all separately.

That's exactly the way I use it - open the scopes in FCPX, adjust everything like I want in HyColour referencing the luma waveform and any of the others that apply. And, you can still use the shape and color masking built in to FCPX for more specific tweaks on a clip that has HyColour on it as well.
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave. I've got my CC out right now. I've got about 400 clips to grade for this project and not having to click tabs is worth the cost of entry.
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Major Player

I forgot about that aspect of it - yes - exposure, saturation, color - all in one panel. I'm lucky in that most things I shoot are such that I can set HCPro on a representative clip, Paste Attributes, then just make minor tweaks.

I've even experimented with opening HCPro in Motion and "unpublishing" some of the features that I don't use to customize the interface for me. I need to get back to that again.

Sylva, huh? Beautiful country. We go to Asheville from time to time, and I was in NC a fair amount in my prior life (before retirement) as an assistant director for one of the high school bands in Knoxville. Been to many a marching contest over there.

Hope the software works for you!
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've been playing with the software a bit and can already tell it is going to save me time. Thanks again for the suggestion. Knoxville is just over the mountain from us. I imagine you got the same pasting from this morning's snow storm and like us, you're probably bracing for the next wave to hit tomorrow evening.

Do you recommend Motion for an occasional user like myself? I've been working during my day job mostly in Premiere and have only done a few side projects in FCX on my system here at home . At work, I have access to the full Adobe CS 6.0 including After Effects and find I have too little time to mess with AE as the interface is a bit foreign to me. Is Motion more intuitive than AE?
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm a novice at Motion, but have never used AE at all. I just use the right click-Open in Motion trick to edit commercial templates I've bought for FCPX, both graphics and the occasional plugin like I mentioned. However, Motion does a lot (but not everything) that AE will do, is faster, easier for most people to learn, and at $50 is not much of a stretch.
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

David,

I ended up using HY Colour Pro for my music video project and it was a huge time saver from not having to click all those tabs to go from exposure levels, to hues and to saturation. I also ended up using the vignette effect to some effect which was a nice bonus. The color tinting feature was also very useful for some fast "look" creations. I did also get Motion and ended up using it to create a very believable effect where I had an actor in a dark tunnel with icicles hanging from the ceiling. The icicles were real but I needed to see his breath to really sell how cold it was. I was able to make a believable breath vapor cloud using the particle emitter. I admit I had about 2 hours of frustration figuring out how everything worked together but in the end, I got the effect I wanted. My only true complaint is it seams "JKL" keys do not work for playback controls. I can't tell you how many times I kept hitting "L" and wondering why nothing was happening. I am sure I would starve if I had to make a living working with Motion but it is nice to know I can create a believable effect if I need to if given enough time to figure out how, Thanks again for the suggestions. Joe
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Major Player

Wow, you really took this and ran with it - glad it worked out so well for you!
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X