DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old February 24th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

A hardware question .... Mini DisplayPort vs Thunderbolt

Hi guys,

Greetings from a Windows user who is in the process of buying a new laptop. I'm getting a top-end one (aka 'gaming') that can be used for video editing out in the field. To this extent, the Windows laptops are coming with Thunderbolt ports and it makes sense to have one for future connectivity options.

This is the laptop model that I've chosen: ASUS ROG G750JS-T4193H which in the specs tab has listed "1 x mini Display Port" which I believe can also be a Thunderbolt port. In other models, this is a Thunderbolt only port. (That other model where this is the case doesn't have the ability to write to BluRay discs which is something I definitely want to be able to do.)

The big question is .... will I be able to properly connect Thunderbolt devices if I have this "Mini DisplayPort" on the laptop?

Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt ports are the same size and shape.

According to an article on CNET, I will, and everything will be just wonderful. See: Confusing Mini DisplayPort with Thunderbolt - CNET

But over on the Apple community support Q&A section, the answers are a bit all over the place. See what is difference between 'display port' vs. thunderbolt port?? - Apple Store (Australia)

Can anybody enlighten me please? It's presently doing my head in.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: A hardware question .... Mini DisplayPort vs Thunderbolt

Hi Andrew,

No expert here, but I have some older Macs with a Mini DisplayPort which are just that - Thunderbolt cables fit, but there is no functionality except for running displays.
A later one labeled Thunderbolt, does work - I think that for it be be Thunderbolt it has to be labelled as such.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:26 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: A hardware question .... Mini DisplayPort vs Thunderbolt

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that.

What I seem to bne finding out at the moment is that the DisplayPort Mini port will not be suitable for attaching a Thinderbo;lt perpheral. I need to get a different model laptop (ASUS ROG G750JX) with the separate dedicated Thunderbolt port in addition to the DisplayPort Mini.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X