DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:29 AM   #1
Major Player

MP3 or Wave?

Hello

I have been taught that you should never use MP3 files in Final Cut, you should always work in Wave or AIFF. Is this true? Is there an audible difference?
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: MP3 or Wave?

MP3 is a compressed lossy format. Wav files are lossless like the raw files of video and contain more details. So better to use the .wav files.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If the file you received is mp3, there is no reason to convert it to WAV or AIFF. If you have a choice of original file format (downloads, recording in an audio recorder, etc.), always go for WAV or AIFF.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Major Player

I've heard that whatever the file, it should be 48k and not 44k for FCP to be nice.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Trustee

On a related note, I found out the other day that FCPX does a pretty terrible job of time stretching WAV files. Not talking a lot here, just 1% faster or slower when you just need a tad to make a new edit work late in the game. Had the MP3 preview files from the stock music website in the timeline and they sounded fine at 101%, but when I replaced them with the final WAV files and copied over the retiming properties, I got the "underwater" artifacting sound.

My workaround was to use the free Audacity application to make the tempo change and it worked great. This thread just reminded me of the issue, and how strange that it didn't sound as apparent with the lower-quality MP3 file - just the WAV.

P.S. Doesn't Final Cut automatically transcode MP3 files to WAV on import anyways? There's a folder in the library called "Transcoded Media"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X