Importing XAVC-S files in FCPX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old March 10th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Importing XAVC-S files in FCPX

I have seen multiple threads of this problem but I have difficulty understanding a strange behavior by FCPX when handling these files. I know that XAVC-S is now supported natively in FCPX since ver 10.1 and I have been able to edit 4K files shot with the SONY AX-100 and now lately the SONY AX-33 BUT I have noted the following:

When I try to import from the SDXC card containing the 4K files thru a card reader attached to a USB 3 into the MacPro the card shows well on the desktop and when I call for the Import window for FCPX the card sometimes will appear as a camera as it should, but other times it will appear as volume.

If the card appears as a camera I am able to see the files in list or thumbnail view and I am able to create an archive which is what I want so that I can collect all the files in their original structure for editing later on and I Archive to an external disc via Thunderbolt on the system as storage for archives. When I click on the archive icon and look for Package contents I am able to see all the files in their original folders in the hierarchy equal to the SDXC card and I am able to play the individual files on the finder either with QT or other video player with no problems, So far so good but I said that this is what happens sometimes... because if FCPX recognizes the card as a volume I cannot see the files and it won't let me create an archive. this happens intermittently. Even when I am able to create an Archive and checking that all the files are there, when I bring the Archive previously created to the Favorite sidebar in the import window to start editing, the 4K files will not show up for selection to import or trim the size before import into FCPX only the JPEG, HD, or AVCHD FILES WILL SHOW UP but none of the 4K files. I am using ver. 10.1.4 and have never had any problems using this workflow to edit anything you throw at FCPX but I don't know if the Sony File structure is at fault or why it happens intermittently.

I any one using either the Sony AX-100 or the new AX-33 importing into FCPX using the same file structure has any thoughts or work around for this or anyone with an explanation it will be greatly appreciated.

supposedly I know you should no mix formats in the same card to avoid problems but each of these go into their own hierarchy folder in the card and they are never mixed.

Thanks, any ideas will be welcomed,

Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Importing XAVC-S files in FCPX

Is this the problem you're having?

FCP X: Help! My Hard Disk Thinks Its a Camera. | Final Cut Pro Training & Classes
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Importing XAVC-S files in FCPX

Hi David :
Thank you for your reply as a matter of fact I just saw that article in the LJ newsletter that I receive and it looks that it is the same problem, but in reverse in fact I just posted on the thread to see if anyone can have any ideas of what is going on. The only difference is that I do not fool around with the file hierarchy of the card all the files remain in their original folders consistent with the AXVC-S CODEC. the Archives are also created in the same fashion I wish some one that owns an AX-100 and edits in FCPX would chime in to find out if they have the same problem.

Thank You

Luis

Last edited by Luis A. Diaz; March 11th, 2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: signature
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X