INGEST: Keep files in place at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:11 AM   #1
Trustee

INGEST: Keep files in place

I just began shooting XDCAM, soon to shoot XAVC. I bought $700 worth of SxS cards and an USB3 SxS reader, specifically to get that 100MB/s ingest speed. Well, that isn't working out. Each clip takes FOREVER to ingest into FCPX. If I just copy the card over to the desktop, it only takes a few seconds, but times that by 5 for ingesting into FCPX, and even when ingesting from the copy on the HDD, the wait remains.

The option to leave files in place is greyed out, so I am assuming that XDCAM MUST be transcoded to function in FCPX, and this is the hold up? If I switch to XAVC L which is direct ingest, no plug-in for 10.2, will I have to endure this horrible ingest wait time, or can XAVC since handled natively not need transcoding? If the transcoding is the problem, I want to sell off all this expensive and unnecessary SxS investment, and switch to cheap slower SD cards.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: INGEST: Keep files in place

Turn off " Create optimize media" which is transcoding all your files to ProRes. It's not really necessary except in certain circumstances. FCPX can work with most forms of XDCAM, especially the newest version 10.2. If you are shooting with a format FCPX can't recognize, there are low cost options to quickly transcode the files.

"Leave files in place" is not a wise option when working with camera cards so Apple has that greyed out.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:28 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: INGEST: Keep files in place

The files are being converted into MOV files, but they are the same size as the MXF originals. And the option to keep files in place and also to optimize are both greyed out.....weird.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X