DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Best method to move a 21GB h.264 file to a PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/528666-best-method-move-21gb-h-264-file-pc.html)

Joe Holt June 6th, 2015 08:08 PM

Best method to move a 21GB h.264 file to a PC

I hope you all can give me some ideas. I have a 21GB H.264 BluRay file that I want to move to a PC so I can use Adobe Encore to master a BluRay disc. I have a 32GB Thumb drive but when I format it to EXFAT, I get the 2GB limit error. Is there a format that I can use that the Mac will write this big file to and the PC can read? I have horribly slow internet connection so uploading to cloud storage and downloading to the PC will take a week.

I only have CS6 installed on the PC. It is actually not my machine or software so installing on my Mac is not an option.

Thank you for your help. Joe

William Hohauser June 6th, 2015 08:18 PM

Re: Best method to move a 21GB h.264 file to a PC

If you have a bluRay burner and Toast, you can make a data BluRay. This will be formatted in a universal format. However exFAT should take that file. Are you sure you completely erased the flash drive and reformatted it with DiskUtility?

Donald McPherson June 7th, 2015 03:11 AM

If you've got a camera changes are you have memory for them. SD CF USB stick .
Edit I should read the whole post before diving in.

Joe Holt June 7th, 2015 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1888632)
If you have a bluRay burner and Toast, you can make a data BluRay. This will be formatted in a universal format. However exFAT should take that file. Are you sure you completely erased the flash drive and reformatted it with DiskUtility?

Yes. I completely erased the drive using disc utility. I do have a BluRay Burner. Never occurred to me to make a data disc. I will give that a try. I will also try to erase the thumb drive again. Thanks.

UPDATE: I just re-erased the thumb drive and formatted to EXFat and this time I was able to copy the file without the error. Now on to the PC (in a different location 20 miles away) to see if it will read the file. Thanks again.

Pete Cofrancesco June 7th, 2015 06:17 AM

Mac OS X 10.6.5 or newer supports exfat

Joe Holt June 9th, 2015 02:38 PM

Update:
Success! I was a little worried when the PC took about 10 minutes to register the Thumb Drive. I was actually about to pull it when it suddenly registered. Files transferred flawlessly and were imported into Encore without incident. I have a few big projects like this so I am thrilled this worked. Thanks again. Joe