DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Audio workflow headaches (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/530988-audio-workflow-headaches.html)

Alfred Okocha January 26th, 2016 12:35 AM

Audio workflow headaches

Hi there!

I've worked with FCP 7 for a long time and done some very simple things in FCP X since I love how easy it is to color correct the images.
What I can't figure out for my life is how to work with audio in a simple way. I work with football and constantly need images on top of others (with low volume of cheering for example) to hide cuts or what not so I need to split the audio to make it smooth.
I produce a suggestion and then a reporter comes in (and generally) wants to change a few lines from the beginning to the end or something like that. That's when the nightmare begins... Things get really messy very quick. And sometimes when you cut a second or two the audio for the clip after gets lost too...
It's so simple in the FCP 7... Does anybody have a tip or two too share? I really want to make the switch permanent so I can start to shoot with a better codec than AVCHD on my FS5.

Thank you.

William Hohauser January 26th, 2016 10:25 AM

Re: Audio workflow headaches

Remember that clips not on the primary storyline track are considered "connected" clips and they behave that way when a primary clip is moved or removed. They connect to the primary clip that they start over or under.

There are techniques like replacing the primary clip with a new clip or replacing it with a gap or, as I frequently do, lift the primary clip from the storyline track (opt cmd up arrow) which automatically makes a gap on the primary track. Once I make the adjustment I drop the clip back on the primary storyline (opt cmd down arrow).

Alfred Okocha January 26th, 2016 11:51 AM

Thanks William!

Is it more complicated to work with audio in FCPX or do I just have to think in a different way? It really doesn't feel pro (the way I do it...)

William Hohauser January 26th, 2016 05:28 PM

It works fine and is as professional as any other editing program, however you have to understand the theory behind the magnetic timeline, work with it a bit and then it will be second nature for you. The disappearing connected files can be frustrating at first but when you get used to all the things the magnetic timeline allows you to accomplish in less time then before you'll forget that you had this problem at the start. The audio filters that come standard are great.

Learning the keyboard shortcuts will help you immensely. Learn how to use compound clips and storylines. Sometimes I make a base track of black and connect everything, video and audio files. This makes the program work like FCP7 as everything stays in place unless I move it.

Alfred Okocha February 1st, 2016 12:10 AM

Thanks William!

Those were some good tips. I appreciate it!