DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Newbie "share" question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/531540-newbie-share-question.html)

Alfred Okocha April 4th, 2016 06:02 AM

Newbie "share" question

Hi there!

Took the plunge to FCP X from FCP7 some months ago and I'm still learning... Why do I sometimes get different menus and possibilities when I "Share", well, export?

Sometimes I have the possibility to use a XD CAM 35gb setting, which is what I record in and sometimes I have to export with the H.264?

What would be the difference between the two anyway? I send my work to a TV station that broadcast both of them but... not sure what I'm doing...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alfred Okocha April 6th, 2016 05:49 AM

Re: Newbie "share" question

I attached two pics here for easier illustration.

No.. that does't work. How can I upload jpegs?

Pete Cofrancesco April 6th, 2016 04:22 PM

I'd imagine the tv station would prefer XDCAM. I have Compressor 4 in addition so that gives me more export options. You can customize your export methods in FCPX. I believe you want to use Masterfile and change the compression to XDCAM

William Hohauser April 6th, 2016 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Click on "Manage Attachments" under Additional Options. Add the images, click on upload and you should see the images listed in Additional Options.

Alfred Okocha April 7th, 2016 02:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, let's see if this works... This is how it looks, why is it that I won't have all the options for exporting always? Most of the time I just get the menu to left to choose from.

Alfred Okocha April 7th, 2016 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1912221)
Click on "Manage Attachments" under Additional Options. Add the images, click on upload and you should see the images listed in Additional Options.

Thanks William. The window opened in a small frame and i missed the upload button all the way to the right... My bad.

Kevin Langdon April 8th, 2016 04:36 AM

That is a bit strange that the window on the right doesn't come up all the time.

But you can add your own custom export settings. Go to File > Share > Add Destination > then drag the Compressor icon on the right hand side of the window over to the left hand pane. Then a range of export settings will open in another window. You'll then have to look through them and then decide what is best for you, your work and whether you're PAL or NTSC for frame rate, etc. Save whatever setting(s) you want and these will then appear when you click on Share from now on.

Hope that helps.

Kevin Langdon April 8th, 2016 04:47 AM

Forgot to say, that if you have Compressor installed, then you can create your own export settings (usually various QT .mov files or .mxf). This includes a wide variety of Sony HD & XDCam settings and DVCPro, etc which may be useful to know.

Alfred Okocha April 8th, 2016 05:51 AM

Thanks Kevin! I'll have a look. No idea why the inconsistencies with the different windows happens then?

Kevin Langdon April 8th, 2016 07:07 AM

Not sure. Are you editing footage with the same format/codec or different ones?

William Hohauser April 8th, 2016 08:24 PM

That's my thought as well, are all these projects in XDCam friendly formats?

Alfred Okocha April 9th, 2016 12:16 AM

Yes, the footage are always from the same cameras. An FS5 and a Canon 6D as second cam.

Kevin Langdon April 9th, 2016 02:57 AM

Is it offering you the window with the Sony options with the FS5 footage and the Pro Res options with the Canon footage?

Alfred Okocha April 10th, 2016 03:23 AM

No, it seems completely random. On one timeline I may on another, not...

Kevin Langdon April 10th, 2016 04:44 AM

Then it seems best to set up your own custom export, as described above.

If all the export settings you require aren't listed, then it may be worth purchasing Compressor as well. This may also be very useful if you have to deliver the edits or rushes to different clients in different formats/codecs or you need to send material in more compressed formats due to speed and/or bandwidth.