Mac Pro status - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old April 21st, 2017, 04:52 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Mac Pro status

And here is a test with two GPU cards in an eGPU box on a 2013 MacPro and a new laptop. This is a different card:
Mac eGPUs with GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
A very modest improvement with the noise filter on an HD clip over the stock MacPro. Absolutely a downgrade playing 5K. The MacPro cards beats two higher quality GPU cards linked together. What does this mean? That programming these cards is very complex and that 3D rendering performance doesn't translate into video playback performance.
Old April 21st, 2017, 08:37 AM   #17
Supports LPFM Radio

Seems to me the trashcan Mac Pro is still a decent machine. Heck, I work on one with some regularity and some friends edit on their for hours on end. They get the job done. People who own one of the higher-end models are set.

The question for me is not if there's a way to upgrade the trashcan MPs (since I don't own one), but if it's worth buying one new now. And on that front, I'd say probably not.

Bummer Apple doesn't have something newer now.
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:35 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Besides space savings, (the 1,1 > 5,1 towers are quite large) one of the selling points was energy savings and in that respect it did very well. A fringe benefit was reduced noise from cooling fans. Unfortunately, UHD 4K and 3D all take more computer resources and, hence, more power.

The Government and large corporations are all trying ways to reduce energy consumption so a design that saves energy and space (smaller cubicles) would be a good selling point. After all, the private sector can write it off so cost may not have been as critical as it would be to consumers.
It be like Ferrari spinning an under powered car as gas efficient. It's not the type of computer corporations or governments deploy in cubicles. The energy efficiency is just a side effect of trying to make it small while not over heating.

As far as dual cards performance when installed internally they make a significant difference rendering and encoding.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Yeah, the last tower Mac before the trash can should still support the new Pascal cards with Nvidia Web Drivers.
Old July 8th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, I'm looking at possibly replacing my 5 year old iMac since I want to do a switch to the Adobe Cloud and learn Premiere/AE since it looks like FCPX is having a mental meltdown in design, IMO.

I just put 32 gig of ram in my iMac, but it does hang on image processing, and FCPX does lag in edit, even off a Thunderbolt G-Drive.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't give the thing a chance with the cloud, because I too have wondered why Apple hasn't updated the trash can. It's crazy expensive, much more than the PC I have at my feet.

This is a good and informative thread.
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #21
Trustee

It probably be easiest and cheapest to buy the latest imac, followed by a modded mac pro, and finally a trash can.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Thanks Pete. I'm going to test a bit till the end of the year. I'm just leary since it sounds like Apple hasn't changed the trashcan since 13. I wish I knew the future. lol
Old July 9th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #23
Wrangler

Here's a pretty good wrap-up: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-pro/

The good part is that we know a completely new design is coming. But here's the bad part:

"Apple has only said that it will be coming sometime later than 2017, so a launch will happen in 2018 or beyond. Work on Apple's Mac Pro is in the early stages, and according to rumors, development on the machine only started a few weeks ahead of when it was announced by Apple. For that reason, it could be late 2018 or even 2019 before the new Mac Pro launches."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X