DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Measure pixel values? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/533998-measure-pixel-values.html)

Darin Boville April 27th, 2017 03:30 AM

Measure pixel values?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to learn how to color correct properly in Final Cut X.

I'm a photographer and what is puzzling me is that I haven't yet found a way to measure pixel values. I can see, through the scopes and the color correction adjustment, how to adjust the color, exposure, and saturation. But everything seems to be a matter of "eyeballing" the preview and the the scopes.

Is there a way to actually measure the values--to get RGB values?

For example. In the attached frame, I would I ensure that the stainless steel is neutral? How would I convince myself that the yellow is not tainted too much with green?

I'm puzzled! :)

--Darin

Dave Farrants April 27th, 2017 03:59 AM

Re: Measure pixel values?

Digital Colour Meter in your Mac Utilities folder?

Craig Seeman April 28th, 2017 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ColorGradingCenteral's Color Finale Pro does this.

http://try.colorgradingcentral.com/colorfinale/
It also adds curves which you might be used to as a photographer.

David Knaggs May 14th, 2017 08:35 PM

Hi Craig.

If you don't mind my asking, have you used the feature inside Color Finale which works with the X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport?

I saw this demo:

and it looks like it could save quite a bit of time. Because the physical ColorChecker itself will cost me about A$200 and Color Finale Pro also costs A$200, I thought I'd check first if someone such as yourself has used it and found it to work as advertised.

Thanks.

Paul Wood May 15th, 2017 01:45 AM

Hi David,
I use it, and I can confirm that it works as advertised, and is a great time saver to get a grade started, and sort color balance issues, and even better for matching two cameras.

David Knaggs May 15th, 2017 04:25 PM

Thanks for that, Paul! I've just ordered the video passport colorchecker from B&H.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wood (Post 1932236)
and even better for matching two cameras.

I'm intrigued by that comment, because I'll soon be trying to match footage from an EX1R with a new Z150 (both Sony cameras). Does that mean that you simply do the one-click in Color Finale to separately balance each (and this means they should match) or is there a special function within the Color Finale software which directly matches cameras? (I hope this question makes sense.)

Thanks.

Paul Wood May 16th, 2017 01:37 AM

No special function, but a common colour reference - assuming you remember to include a shot of the chart from both cameras!.

I use different model Sony cameras, and always had problems matching colour, but shooting the chart makes it much easier - Denver has some free tutorial material on his site which helps a lot.

David Knaggs May 16th, 2017 04:34 PM

Thanks for the excellent info, Paul.

Darin Boville June 6th, 2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1931375)
ColorGradingCenteral's Color Finale Pro does this.

Color Finale - Professional Color Grading in Final Cut Pro X
It also adds curves which you might be used to as a photographer.

Bought it. Much more what I'm used to as a photographer. Really worthwhile.

Note, there a bundle out there where you can get the upgraded version of Color Finale and a bunch of other stuff for $97. Can't find the link.

Sadly, I bought the junior version of Color Finale ($100) three days prior to the bundle announcement--The Color Finale guy won't do anything for me. Bummer. :(

Also be warned, the software is good but the developer will bombard you with a ton of follow on e-mails, seemly without any end point, telling you all about his life story and color grading adventures. No kidding. I must have a dozen or more of them by now and I just purchased the product ten days ago.

But, again, from a photographer's point of view, this is the kind of stuff that should be built-in to Final Cut. Has been very useful so far.

--Darin