Does FCPX Read Canopus HQ/HQX Files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old May 24th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does FCPX Read Canopus HQ/HQX Files?

I'm considering switching to macOS, and would like to know if Final Cut Pro X is able to read the Canopus HQ/HQX codec.

Grass Valley has a cross-platform codec pack available, but when I posted a question about compatibility with FCPX to their forum, I didn't get a definitive answer one way or the other.

So, has anyone here installed the codec pack on a mac, and gotten MOV HQ/HQX files to read in Final Cut? (All my files are MOVs, not AVIs, so as to be compatible with Resolve.) Thanks.
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Does FCPX Read Canopus HQ/HQX Files?

Send me one via dropbox and I'll try it.
Old May 24th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That'd be great.

Here's a tiny zipped clip (a frame counter with tone), followed by a non-zipped version. I'm surprised to see that the non-zipped MOV previews correctly in Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmix3p49u2...0_60p.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkwobnekkm...0_60p.mov?dl=0

--------------------
The Grass Valley codec pack (Grass Valley HQX/HQ Codecs Pack for Mac OS X 10.7) is here:

https://www.grassvalley.com/support/...=&download=719

It looks like you need to sign-in on their site before you can download...which is just awkward.
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Well, I'm the proud new owner of a Grass Valley website account, and was therefore able to download the codec pack.

Unfortunately, the files you sent don't play nice with FCPX (10.3.3). It will import them, and even play them in the timeline (kinda), but any time you stop the playhead the preview goes black. Same with any export, just blank. Also tried to make optimized media (ProRes), but ended up with a pretty green video file.

The codec pack looks really old – like 2014 old. The raw file you sent plays back fine in Quicktime 7, but FCPX just isn't having it. Though Resolve seems to work fine. Hope this helps.
Old May 25th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That's a tremendous help; I can't thank you enough. (And sorry about that sign-up; really off-putting, particularly these days.)

I guess the good news is that it works in Resolve. Thanks for checking that, too.

My interest in FCPX is to have access to Motion and DriveX; I guess I could use Resolve as an intermediary. Not ideal, but workable for existing footage.
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X