DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   XDCAM Broken on FCPX 10.4 and High Sierra (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/536039-xdcam-broken-fcpx-10-4-high-sierra.html)

Les Wilson July 12th, 2018 05:00 PM

XDCAM Broken on FCPX 10.4 and High Sierra

Like so many things that need to be updated for High Sierra, the XDCAM plugin for FCP X probably needs it. Last update was 2014.

In High Sierra and FCP X 10.4, the application crashes the instant I open a folder containing XDCAM footage copied from an SxS card (using Catalyst Browser).

I'm having to use CB to export the footage to an MXF file and then importing into FCP.

Is it working for anyone?

David Knaggs July 12th, 2018 06:09 PM

Re: XDCAM Broken on FCPX 10.4 and High Sierra

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1945259)
... the XDCAM plugin for FCP X ...

Hi Les.

Are you referring to "XDCAM Transfer"? If so, I agree with you. High Sierra has pretty much "broken" it. These days, I tend to capture directly through FCP X itself (EX1R footage).

For what it's worth, I like to keep my FCP X libraries to as small a file size as possible. And I don't want to bloat them out by stuffing them full of XDCAM footage.

So, for my workflow, I set up a temporary Library which I usually call "Capture", then import the footage into FCP X. FCP X will then put QuickTime wrappers on the footage as it imports. I close that Capture Library in FCP X, then locate it in the Finder. I right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents". I then find these newly-created movie files and drag them out to a different location outside of that Library. Then I trash that (now empty) Capture Library. It takes about 10 seconds and I found it to be a much quicker workflow than using the old XDCAM Transfer. But, to each their own.

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you were saying or asking for. In that case, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Les Wilson July 12th, 2018 08:44 PM

I don't mean XDCAM transfer. That was from long ago. FCP 7 days.

I copy files off the cards to the HD. Then in FCP, do Import. That is the step that wraps them into a .mov. The file is put in the library for managed libraries or in another folder you specify. The latter is the architected way to keep the libraries small and keep the video files outside the library. Until now, the wrapping into a .mov file was done internally by FCP using a plug-in provided by Sony. That no longer works in High Sierra/FCPX 10.4. During the Import, the moment you click on a folder containing the BPAV folder, FCP quits.

I went from El Capitan/FCP 10.3 to High Sierra /FCP 10.4 in one fell swoop so I don't know which is the culprit.

Kevin Langdon July 16th, 2018 02:23 PM

I import XDCam footage from a sxs card directly without any problems.
I don’t rewrap anything either or use any other software, just import straight in to FCPX. I also don’t have a problem importing XDCam footage straight from a sd card that’s in a sxs size adapter.
This is on Sony PMW 200, 300, 400 & 500 cameras and also Sony PXW 160 & 180 cameras.
Also no problem importing straight from a sd card from a Sony FS5.
This can be UDF, Fat or Ex Fat codecs, all without any problem.
I’m running the latest version of FCPX 10.4.3 and High Sierra.

There was a problem with much slower than normal import times, but this has been fixed with the recent updates to 10.4.

What camera and codec are you using?

Les Wilson July 16th, 2018 02:30 PM

Hmmmm. I actually tried direct from SxS card as well and the moment I click the folder containing the BPAV folder, FCP X quits. Instantly.

I am using two PMW-F3s and one EX1r. All with Sony SxS and Sony SxS-1.

Pete Cofrancesco July 16th, 2018 02:37 PM

In a previous thread he said he was using an old mac pro. If he upgraded it to High Sierra with FCPX 10.4 that could cause this problem. Older machines can’t run stable under the latest os.

Les Wilson July 16th, 2018 02:45 PM

I upgraded to a brand new 8 core nMP (2013) when I moved to High Sierra and 10.4.

Kevin Langdon July 16th, 2018 02:47 PM

That could be the issue...

As to importing directly from the sxs card, I don’t have to click on the BPAV folder or touch anything.
I put the sxs card into the reader with FCPX running and the import screen comes up automatically and I choose to import all the footage or choose which clips I want. That’s it.

So maybe it is a computer age related problem. How old/what model do you have and is it fully compatible with High Sierra?

Les Wilson July 16th, 2018 02:55 PM

It's a brand new Mac Pro (2013) trash can. Same thing happens on a Test user so it's not a use migration issue. The old cheese grater worked fine but was stuck at El Capitan and FCP X 10.3.

My 10.4 doesn't bring up the import screen for SxS. Just SD cards.

Kevin Langdon July 16th, 2018 02:56 PM

Your last post came in as I was writing!
Maybe start again with a complete clean install and go from there?

Kevin Langdon July 16th, 2018 03:05 PM

Top 15 Tips for Troubleshooting Final Cut Pro X

I’ve just found this web page for trouble shooting problems.
Definitely worth checking some these...

Kevin Langdon July 16th, 2018 03:11 PM

Also, what sxs card reader are you using?
Mine needs a driver installed to work properly - again worth checking.

Les Wilson July 16th, 2018 03:12 PM

HAH! Thanks. I'm just now researching how to do a clean install of FCP X. For FCP 7 there was a tool called FCS remover.

It helps a lot to know it's supposed to work. Last resort is a clean OS install. Migrating users isn;t as easy as it used to be. I can see from the crash report that it;s the XDCAM plugin that's crashing. Reinstalling the plugin and deleting prefs doesn't solve.... Hmmmmm

Les Wilson July 16th, 2018 03:13 PM

I am using the original Sony USB SxS reader. But my workflow is top copy the the raw files to the HD using Sony's Catalyst Browser. It maintains the Sony SxS directory structure.

Kevin Langdon July 16th, 2018 03:26 PM

Have you tried removing/deleting the plug in and trying without it?
I understood XDCam is natively supported in FCPX.