DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP6 Smoothcam question?

I had a nice little 2 second clip of a couple of doves sitting on a roof (shot on my Canon XHA1 in HDV1080). Unfortunately it was a wee bit wobbly (delerium tremens perhaps?) so knowing that the master clip was huge, i did an export of the 2 secs as a self contained quicktime movie and imported to the browser and onto the Timeline . I then added the smoothcam filter and analyed quickly and efficiently. It rendered No Problem, except playback now gives me a massively zoomed in tilt of one of the doves from its toes to its head! Oh Dear.
I tried another clip from the same sequence (2 doves again) and followed the same procedure.
this time the clip seems to be identical to the source clip with no judders affected whatsoever.
I've had great results with this filter before, what could i be doing wrong now?
Thanks for your time,
Dom
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Dom,

The way I understand smoothcam works is that it does a "motion analysis" of the whole clip looking for the GREATEST deviation from it's steady state. Then it blows the whole clip up and moves the clip around to keep the clip appearing steady.

If the clip section you selected has single a severe jerk or wobble anywhere in the entire clip, then it has to enlarge the whole clip enough to make that BIG deviation repairable.

If an other clip doesn't have the same "big jerk" in it - it can apply less enlargement to make the smoothcam application more subtle.

Go back to the heavily enlarged clip, drop it on your FCP timeline and shrink the clip size to 50% in the motion tab. In the wirframe view - you can then watch how the smoothcam is tracking the motion and where the greatest deviation occurs.

Fun to watch.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite