2.4GHz
2GB RAM
150GB HDD
etc.

but now, for almost the same price, I can get an 24" iMac with:

2.8GHz
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

Now portability would be nice, but if I were to get an iMac case (iLugger)
then that would be solved right?

I'm editing HDV so the faster/more RAM the better right?

ADVICE PLEASE.

Pat
Pat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat King View Post
Now portability would be nice, but if I were to get an iMac case (iLugger) then that would be solved right?
Only you can answer this question. Calling the 24" iMac a portable machine sounds like quite a stretch to me, but maybe it would work for how you intend to use/transport it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat King View Post
I'm editing HDV so the faster/more RAM the better right?
Yes. If you have to choose between either a faster CPU or more RAM, take the additional RAM. And don't forget about a fast harddisk for your scratchdisk. Facing the same choice, I'd pick the iMac, but I wouldn't plan on carrying it around.

- Martin
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

Maybe not a factor for you, but the MBP would give you an expresscard expansion slot and the iMac has none...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Now portability would be nice, but if I were to get an iMac case (iLugger)
then that would be solved right?
Not really. That is the same thing I thought when I got my iMac. I got the 20", which weights about 20lb or so. It was around $1000 less then the comparable MBP at the time, so I went with it.

So far, I've used the iMac as a "portable" a few times. Packing it up (simple) and taking it from a driveway to a house, is not a big deal. However, the one time I used it onsite was a pain - literally. I hauled the thing from a parking garage to a hotel room and back 3 days in a row. By the end of it, every part of my body ached from carrying it so far. I made it, and it did work as a I had invisioned. However, 20lb was a LOT heavier then I thought it would be.

Of course, if you are used to carrying a heavy daypack on trips or something - it wouldn't be that bad. Just remember, you have to have power because it doesn't run on a battery like a MBP would.

I really like the iMac and have had absolutely no issues or slowdowns editing on it. I am planning to get a MBP as my on-the-road editing machine though, and the iMac hasn't left my desk for a while.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Major Player

not to mention you could always hook a 24" lcd up to the MBP when working at home
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner View Post
So far, I've used the iMac as a "portable" a few times. Packing it up (simple) and taking it from a driveway to a house, is not a big deal.

Well mostly what I was thinking was more about packing it up, and then taking it on a plane to where I will be shooting, and then packing it up when I'm finished and flying home.

I would love the extra RAM and stuff, but also I would like Wireless and a battery. And its too bad becuase I would love the 24", but its not that much
of a difference...

Also, does the 15" MBP handle HDV well (with 2.4GHz and 2GB RAM)?

- Pat
Pat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You're editing mostly HDV? Get the iMac 'cause it has full HD resolution. I got a 17" MBP a while ago and it works great....and never moves from my apartment. Speed, RAM, Resolution, and Storage will get you MUCH further on a project than Portability.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Poritsky View Post
You're editing mostly HDV? Get the iMac 'cause it has full HD resolution.
Well, you could customize the MBP to a high-resolution display with 1920x1200 pixels, which adds $100 to the price. You might prefer the iMac for other reasons (faster HD, etc.), but if you want portability and a HD resolution display, you can have both!

- Martin
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a 15 mbp with a 24 monitor hooked up. With the express card slot you can do anything to the MBP u want.. I even play bf2, then edit hdv. no problems. i suggest you go that route you wont regret it.
Matt Hagest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Major Player

I have a 24" iMac, and love it. I have had to haul it to a job, was not the worst thing in the world.

I also have a second 24" monitor hooked up for a dual 24" display with the imac.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite