DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 9th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Trustee

iMovie 08 can be used to rough cut for FCP

I noticed an export option in the demo video, "Export to Final Cut XML". I'm wondering if this is the way they are initially getting the "Skimming" feature for FCP users? I really like the workflow presented in the demo. The skimming is precisely how I cut with FCP...it's just alot more combersome there. Exciting stuff!
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Major Player

this is pretty big. I like to take my laptop computer out to clients and FCP layout is a bit daunting for them to follow the edit. So if I could line up the shots with them in a way they can follow easily and then export it back to do the final polish with FCP, motion, color, etc... my workflow would become a lot more client friendly.
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Cole,

I saw the video on Apple's website of Jobs working with iMovie '08. But I don't think this was mentioned. Can anyone confirm how iMovie '08 and FCP are to interact?

Thanks,
-Hans.
Hans Gruenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Trustee

it wasn't mentioned, when he shows how it shares to .mac, I read the rest of the export menu...final cut XML was an option for export.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Trustee

There's also a much longer demo on the apple iLife welcome page.

Downloadable in highish rez.

The section about iMovie 08 explains it in much greater detail and is pretty interesting viewing.

Yeah, the scrubbing thing look pretty cool - as does the new single-click ability to post work to a dot-mac account for potential client access and viewing at multiple resolutions.

Kudos to the Apple engineer who re-designed the iMovie interface - pretty leading edge NLE design, IMO.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Kudos to the Apple engineer who re-designed the iMovie interface - pretty leading edge NLE design, IMO.
Did you hear Jobs' story behind that? Seems necessity was the mother of invention for that engineer.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Major Player

I wouldn't use a free consumer program as a substitute for FCP.

Why can't clients follow a FCP timeline?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Why haven't some of my clients been able to follow final cut pro? I don't know. 85 percent of the human species just isn't interested in video editing and finds it boring to watch. We're the weirdos, not them.

It's a cool and helpful option to have. I didn't say I'd "use a free consumer program as a substitute for FCP."

It's not free by the way. It costs $79.
Old August 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #9
Trustee

Just so there's less confusion about this...

The interesting element here is that the re-design of iMovie includes some simple, powerful and very intuitive new approaches to the basic tasks of footage ingest, scene breakout, scene selection, ordering, and rough editing.

It's not at all that it's a "substitute" for FCP or any other pro editor.

It's that the engineer took the time to re-think what a simple, user friendly editing app SHOULD be - and had the coding skills and interface design chops to make that happen.

Perhaps some of his concepts - like the profoundly simple clip scrubbing via visiable line indicator - and "two click rough edit ON THE thumbnail itself" are pretty clear advances for rough cut editing.

You can absolutely still do everything you can do in iMovie08 in FCP or any other full featured video editing app. But iMovie approaches common tasks in new ways and some of them are VERY intuitive and cool - and may be a harbinger of human interface directions for more robust and professional editing apps in the future.

Worth looking at, anyway, IMO.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Trustee

thanks for detailing bill. Yes, my current workflow is to select the clip I want, double click to open in the viewer, set in and out points, then move to the timeline.

iMovie 08 basically does this, but has made the selecting of in and out points faster and more visual (I'm a visual person, so this excites me). Giving the ability to do a fast rough cut in iMovie and transfer to final cut for finer granularity editing and messaging with higher quality effects and 'scopes etc...I also prefer iMovies import for my personal workflow...capture now is close, but not as simple as hitting go and having it generate separate clips for each stop/start while ignoring dropped frames etc...iMovie is really forgiving in ways I wish I could get FCP to do.
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #11
New Boot

There are some limits with the export feature in iMovie 08. See the attached screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
iMovie 08 can be used to rough cut for FCP-imovie-08-xml-export.tiff  
Sean Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Paterson View Post
There are some limits with the export feature in iMovie 08. See the attached screen shot.
I can live with that!
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #13
Major Player

I am completely clueless with iMovie 08. I find the interface confusing (I am fluent with Premiere, FCP or any similar editing system) - at first I was even unable to tell if my "timeline" is at the top, or the bottom of the screen? I guess it is awesome for users not "spoilt" by pro systems, but it`s too difficult for me :) And I know I am not alone :)
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #14
Major Player

Having been with FCP since pre v.1, I find iMovie 8 a very intriguing piece of software.

I've cut DVCProHD footage with it, and it is surprisingly fast and doesn't require rendering.

I have to import 720 footage as 1080 footage, but the exports to FCP seem to be fine.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite