HDV capture edit compression noise... ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Major Player

HDV capture edit compression noise... ???

Hello. Posted this in the JVC forum as well, though it probably should have just been posted here. I'm running a JVC HD110 720p at 30fps and capturing and editing on a mac platform FCP (studio 1) capturing HDV, edit native via firewire. I just picked up a 23" Samsung LCD HDTV and using that as a preview monitor. I see a fair amount of compression noise in medium tones where there is little variation in tone or color. Is this just HDV, or possibly is it better to change my capture settings? Capturing HDV but letting it expand into a less compressed format before dropping it into the hard drive? For instance having the project DVCPROHD but capturing HDV or AIC? Not sure that is even possible on the fly capturing anyway. I don't recall seeing the compression artifacts as bad coming out the component inputs of the camera. So have people had better luck with a Kona or AJA type card capturing from component from and HDV source?

Going from that to SD DVD the noise becomes very apparant. I experimented with exporting the HDV out to DVC PRO-HD then into DVD Studio Pro as well as Quicktime files, and both were significantly better final results than just going out native HDV. I'm betting its best to get away from HDV in editing ASAP and edit in a less lossy format.

thanks
alex
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #2
New Boot

i'm using the Z1 and get incredible of amounts of noise in the same areas as well. I'm importing HDV and then editing in ProRes and even viewing on a Matrox system. Any advice would be great!
Jeremy Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite