DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   (FCE) Trouble Exporting 16x9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/101109-fce-trouble-exporting-16x9.html)

Kevin Randolph August 11th, 2007 01:50 PM

(FCE) Trouble Exporting 16x9

I have been trying every way I can think of to export a quicktime format file of a project shot in 16x9 on an XL2, but I always get thin black bars at the top and bottom of the frame and the image still has a bit of squeeze to it.

I'm choosing "Export" then "Using Quicktime Conversion" and then under the size setting checking the box that says "Preserve Aspect Ratio" and picking "Letterbox" from the drop down menu. If I don't check that box and pick letterbox, I just get a 4x3 image with anamorphic distortion.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

Waldemar Winkler August 12th, 2007 08:58 PM

Don't export using QuickTime Conversion. Simply export as a QuickTime Movie. Your aspect ratios will be maintained, and you will get the best quality export possible. To save disc space, export as a referenced movie. Only use self-contained if you plan to sent the exported movie file to another computer.

Nate Weaver August 12th, 2007 11:57 PM

I've only been able to get this to work correctly in Compressor:

In version 2: Use the Letterbox filter in the filters you can apply to a Compressor preset. Choose the 16x9 option, and it will correctly inset a anamorphic source timeline into your compressed file.

In version 3: Use the Geometry tab, use "Output Image Inset" pulldown at the bottom of the inspector. There is a preset choice for 16x9 as well.

Aric Mannion August 13th, 2007 10:59 AM

what's wrong with 4:3 distortion? Can't you just hit apple J in quicktime and check clean or production?

Nate Weaver August 13th, 2007 01:57 PM

He wants a 16x9 source letterboxed in a 4x3 export. It has to be rendered that way, it's not a checkbox option in playback.

Chris Hocking August 14th, 2007 07:51 AM

As others have suggested, exporting a "Quicktime Movie" will give you a file that has the same settings as your timeline. However, if you want to use "Quicktime Conversion" the easiest way I've found is to put in a "Custom Size" (i.e. 1024 x 576). Don't worry about the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" settings.

Or, if you don't want to export again, just edit the settings of your existing Quicktime movie so that it displays as widescreen (i.e. 1024 x 576 as opposed to an anamorphic image that hasn't been stretched out yet). In Quicktime go "Window > Show Movie Properties". Click the "Video Track" tab, then the "Visual Settings" tab. Deselect the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" check box. Enter a 16:9 value (i.e. 1024 x 576). Make sure "High Quality" is checked while you're there. And that's it... It should work now...

Kevin Randolph August 17th, 2007 04:12 PM

If it's rude to start a thread and then not jump back into the conversation for a while, I apologize.

I should've been more specific when I asked the original question. I was trying to export for You Tube. That's why I was using "Quicktime Conversion." I was wanting to get a 16x9-not-letterboxed version of my short posted. After looking around You Tube, I see that just about everybody does it as letterboxed. I'll just have to settle for that until You Tube changes things around.

Thanks for the tip on Apple-J and then changing the settings. That looks like it will solve another problem for me.

Thanks for the help guys...

Tim Dashwood August 17th, 2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph (Post 730585)
If it's rude to start a thread and then not jump back into the conversation for a while, I apologize.

I should've been more specific when I asked the original question. I was trying to export for You Tube. That's why I was using "Quicktime Conversion." I was wanting to get a 16x9-not-letterboxed version of my short posted. After looking around You Tube, I see that just about everybody does it as letterboxed. I'll just have to settle for that until You Tube changes things around.

Thanks for the tip on Apple-J and then changing the settings. That looks like it will solve another problem for me.

Thanks for the help guys...

I think YouTube automatically recognizes 16x9 and adds its own letterbox when it encodes to flash. It's a no brainer. Just upload in 16x9.

Chris Hocking August 17th, 2007 07:24 PM

The YouTube player is always 4:3. You cannot change the YouTube player to display a true 16:9 image. As Tim suggested, if you upload a true 16:9 movie, YouTube's compressor will automatically letterbox the video. This may change when they move away from Flash and stick with H.236.