Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple ProRes and SDI

Hi,
I just bought the FCP Studio 2 upgrade but I didn't install it yet. I will put together the following system for a part of a drama series which will be recorded in the studio. So I'll have 3 SDI cameras (JVC GY HD 251) and a Panasonic sdi mixer. I intend to shot SD 25P 16/9 and record the edit from the mixer straight via SDI to my G5 Quad at 2,5GHz through the Blackmagic HD Extreme that I own. Questions:
1. If I record on ProRes 422 will I be able to use external USB2 or Firewire400 HDD without getting drop frames ? If it doesn't work this way which would be the best solution compression wise which will let me use 7200rpm external HDD?
2. If on one of the cameras I will also record on the DR HD 100 (external HDD) using mov type of file will this footage be usable quality wise next to the ProRes 422 file of the same program recorded via SDI straight from the camera (mixer)?
3. If I am going to feed the sound directly to the computer (Blackmagic HD Extreme balanced inputs ) from the sound mixer will it be any sync issues with the image ?
4. With the configuration above am I making my life much harder if I shoot 720P 25?
Thanks a lot for your help,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Major Player

You can't capture ProRes with a G5, not even a Quad.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Correction Joseph. With a Quad Core G5 and Final Cut Studio 2, YOU CAN capture using PRO RESS 422 and PRO RES 422(HQ). I do it all of the time via the SDI out of my Canon XL H1 into the KL BOX for the KONA LHe. I also have an XSERVE RAID, but you need to update Final Cut Studio 2 via software updates in order to use it. The original FCS2 wouldn't allow me to capture using PRO RES 422(HQ)
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Joseph.
Thank you Gregory.
As I mentioned I intend to shoot SD 16/9 not HD. Do you think that it still a problem with prores and G5 quad together with USB2 HDD?
Thanks,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Gregory,
That's great. Apple doesn't list that as an option. I hope that means I can do it with my 17" MacBook Pro, as well.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite