DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Tourist

Problem getting to 16x9

I cant seem to figure this out. I have a 16x9 video clip that i pulled off a dvd that i made. It opens up in quicktime and everything looks perfect. I then pull that into a DV NTSC Anamorphic timeline, where everything still looks perfect, the aspect ratio is correct and not stretched. When i then export using DV NTSC anamorphic and open it in quicktime it has been smashed into a 4x3 image and stretched. Ive tried a ton off different combinations to get a true 16x9, not a 4x3 with black bars on the top and bottom, how can i do this. Thanks.
Luke Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Major Player

I assume that you are no exporting for DVD. When you export through quicktime just make sure that you have the actual geometric size setup the way you want. Remember, anamorphic is simply a flag to stretch an image.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Luke and welcome to DVinfo. What you describe is actually the way things should be. As Patrick says, 16:9 is still 720x480 and it's up to the display device to stretch it into the correct proportion. Quicktime won't do this for you unfortunately. If you are exporting to watch on a computer monitor you need to set the frame size to the 16:9 proportion. 854x480 would be a full size image, or use any size you want as long as the width equals 1.78 times the height.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Here's a quick tip-

If you have already exported the Quicktime file, and the proportions are not correct, you can quickly (although not accurately) adjust them by shift-clicking on the resizing area at the lower right corner of the window and dragging. You will be able to drag the movie into any shape you want.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Wrangler

The anamorphic tag that FCP exports with quicktimes never seems to be read properly by quicktime player or iDVD. Compressor and DVD Studio Pro read it just fine and always flag anamorphic as anamorphic.

There is a free Applescript called "Anamorphicizer" that will create a reference quicktime with the proper anamorphic flag checked for proper QT Player display. I'm not sure who the developer of this applescript is so you will have to google it. There are two versions, QT6 or QT7 version. Make sure you download the correct one.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
16:9 is still 720x480 and it's up to the display device to stretch it into the correct proportion. Quicktime won't do this for you unfortunately.
Quicktime will do it for you. Open your movie hit apple and J, (opens properties) select presentation and check conform aperture and choose production or clean from the drop down menu -you can even save, so that your movies stays that way. You don't need to export at a custom size.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
Quicktime will do it for you. Open your movie hit apple and J, (opens properties) select presentation and check conform aperture and choose production or clean from the drop down menu -you can even save, so that your movies stays that way. You don't need to export at a custom size.
Yes. I think that's exactly what the Anamorphicizer applescript does. You just drag your DV anamorphic Quicktime(s) onto the anamorphicizer script and the process is automated.

I found this link by google search. I think this guy is the author of the applescript.
http://homepage.mac.com/sith33/FileSharing34.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite