Help! external Hard Disk says "offline"?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help! external Hard Disk says "offline"??

Hey guys,

I just went to open final cut pro 4.5 and a little box popped up that said the disk was offline... 3 options...quit... check again... and... reset scratch disk...

tried rebooting the laptop, and remounting the external hard drive, still says it... if I go into the reset scratch disk... at the set option it reads "offline" as well... I have a big project ongoing, and I really don't want to loose my links, but what is the next step for regaining the link or bringing the drive back online without blowing my project?

thanks,
Matt
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jackson View Post
Hey guys,
tried rebooting the laptop, and remounting the external hard drive, still says it... if I go into the reset scratch disk... at the set option it reads "offline" as well... I have a big project ongoing, and I really don't want to loose my links, but what is the next step for regaining the link or bringing the drive back online without blowing my project?

thanks,
Matt
Can you see the drive on the Finder? Did you run Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk?
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

the disk shows up in finder, and you can open the actual mov files, but if you open a project it says offline... not sure what to do... I've been trying to unplug the drive, reboot the computer... etc... nothing seems to get it online inside Final Cut...

If I go ahead into Final Cut and try to relink it from there will there be any issues losing the files? or is it like Premiere, where you just repath the files?
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Major Player

This happened to me when my scratch disk got unplugged while FCP was open. Reset the scratch disks, then go into the preferences and change it back to your external. Quit and reopen (without saving) and the media will probably be back online. If not you can reconnect media and get all your files back online without losing any (as long as you haven't deleted the originals.)
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite