DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 27th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP studio 2 install help

Hello All, I will be installing FCP studio 2 tonight and Im hoping I could get a few tips.

First, how long do you think it will take? Im installing on a quad core 2.6 gig with intel chip. I have a 10000 rpm operating hard drive and 2 raid storage drives 500 gig each and a data drive of 250 gig.

Do I need to uninstall FCP 5.1.4 first?

Thanks for the help
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi John,

don't know about the removing of FCP 5 (atlhough I couldn't really see why you would have to keep it) but I've heard a reviewer on a website say that it took him about an hour to install the complete studio on a setup just like yours.

Sidenote: I'm interested in getting a Mac Pro and FCS 2, could you let me know how your experiences (speed, ease,...) are on your setup?
Thanks,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3
New Boot

IIRC it took me about 1.5 hours installing the programs on my MBP and the content on an external SATA drive. I think it's 8 DL DVDs and one tutorial DVD. Was a fresh install for me. I read somewhere that some people experienced problems with overwriting the license file.
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I went through a whole nightmare on this install and on my simultaneous upgrade to an Octo Mac.

To cut a long story short, after many many problems, I found that the only way for a true clean and working install was (unfortunately) to re-format (ie erase) the main drive, reinstall the system softwware and then install FCS2.

Anything short of that has produced variable results.

I suggest that you will save yourself a lot of time and pain by biting the bullet and doing it this way. And I mean really truly erasing your boot drive. Sorry.

The whole thing took me about 3 hours or something like that - inscluding reinstalling m plugins etc.

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. I did it last night,about 1.5 hours and all went smooth. I left FCP 5.1.4 on the Mac and did an "upgrade" in programs that already existed. All programs open ,but I havent tried to use anything yet. I will keep my fingers crossed.
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #6
New Boot

Glad it went smoothly for you!
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite