Color versus Color Corrector in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Color versus Color Corrector in FCP

I just recently upgraded to FCS2 and now have access to Color. I've always used the 3-way color corrector in the past, but I figured that Color was going to be a better way to color correct/enhance.

However, after reading most of the documentation and watching the videos on Color, and then trying it out myself, it seems like extra steps with no extra benefit.

Am I missing something?
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm not really fond of the Color interface. It looks like you can do some really impressive things, but the interface is killing me right now
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, it's definitely NOT as intuitive as a typical Mac software interface. I'm also not real fond of my color-corrected project becoming "separate" from my original project in FCP. It just seems like an extra step.

Has anyone found an advantage to using Color?
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

To make it simple, color is more for creating a look for the entire project. Ie, "300" look.

Color correction is really more for individual clip color correction.

You can do it clip by clip in color, it's just more time consuming. IMHO it's overkill if your just trying to correct certain clips within your project.

It's a great program none the less.
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I definitely want to use it to create the looks, but I'm just getting killed trying to figure it out, is there any decent books on color yet, or even online tutorials?
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Major Player

On the 9th Final Cut Studio DVD, the tutorials disc, there is a folder hidden in there that is called "drag this folder to iTunes" Do just that.
There are 4 movies in there about color, it gives you a nice basic to somewhat medium based explanation on how to use Color, and what it does. After I watched it, I loved using color. Those videos are great reference material.

My-wife watched them, and picked up Color within the hour.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Benson View Post
I definitely want to use it to create the looks, but I'm just getting killed trying to figure it out, is there any decent books on color yet, or even online tutorials?
Look for tutorials on 'Final Touch'. This is what the program was called before Apple bought it. That's the reason why the interface is so different. This used to be a $25K stand alone program used by professional colorists. Bringing this much raw power into the hands of us mere mortals leads to confusion at first. Our local FCP group just recently had a two day paid class on this application, taught by a professional out of the Austin area.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

There is a "Apple training series" book about color in the make, to be released later this year. Check www.peachpit.com
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite