DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Time Slipping in FCP using Quicktime Conversion on XH-A1 Footage

We've had a consistant problem with FCP, starting with the older version and now still in the current.

When we cut a scene using footage from the Canon XH-A1 in 24F HDV mode everything looks fine when we export a Quicktime using the current settings. If we output using Quicktime conversion, however, to get a different size or something the clips randomly shift. All the cuts are in the same place, and the footage is all from the same clip, but the in and out points are shifted - meaning we see footage that is not in the edit, or in the full-res output.

The same thing happens now in outputting to Color. We've had very simliar problems outputting to Soundtrack.

It has made Color completely useless for us, and made video output a two step process when it should be one.

I believe that none of this happened when working with footage from the Sony X-1.

It can't be that we are the only ones having this problem... Any input?

Thanks in advance.

Barry
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Wrangler

yes, my funky workaround has been outputting to AIC via quicktime conversion. clears up the weird jump cuts and slippage. but in my opinion, there's a bit of color loss....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

So you've had the same problem? Is it only with the A1 footage?

It works fine to output full res and then do a new output from there if I want to get a full clip converted... but it is two steps when it should be one. And the color/soundtrack output is worthless.
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

i haven't had problems with soundtrack and haven't really played with Color much. my big beef is actually Compressor 3, which is slow and has introduced jaggies into my footage, grrrr, which weren't there in Compressor 2.

it's interesting that you're saying that you're not seeing these issues with the FX-1 footage. i have an FX-1, but it was quickly relegated to our 3rd camera, so it does not see as much use as the A1s. i'm going to have to pay attention and see if there's a difference in the quicktime conversion between the two sets of cams.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite