Canvas turns black upon creation of mask (Motion 3.01) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Canvas turns black upon creation of mask (Motion 3.01)

I'm trying to color correct just a roadsign. So I send the clip from FCP to Motion and duplicate the layer. I select the top layer and press Option-R to select the Rectangle Mask Tool. The cursor changes into a cross. Now, when I click and drag to create a mask, upon release of the mouse button, the canvas turns black. I can see the handles of the mask, but that's it, nothing more. When applying a Levels filter the it doesn't have any effect at all.

Where am I going wrong?

I found a tutorial on the net on rippletraining.com ("Cops" revisited), and I do it just like that.
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM   #2
New Boot

Hmmm. I just tried the same using a still and it worked like I expected it to work. The clip that it doesn't work with is encoded using Apple ProRes422 (original HDV 1080p25). Hints?
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:35 PM   #3
New Boot

Just came off the phone with Apple support, and it might be a bug. This particular clip, when sent to Motion from the FCP timeline creates a project with this particular problem. Creating a new project in Motion and then importing the clip works fine.

I have to go through the whole she-bang with Apple now, to see if we can pin down the exact problem. Might be a couple of days but I'll post the results.
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite