H.264 Codec Question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Major Player

H.264 Codec Question.

Hey, everyone. How's it going? I gotta quick question about the H.264 Codec. I just recently finished up a hdv project. I put the project, downscaled 720p, 24fps on a standard dvd-r. Now, here's my question. I've heard from a few people that the H.264 codec won't play in certain dvd players? Does this hold true? If so... What dvds won't play the codec, and what dvd is player IS able to play it. I think I remember hearing that ONLY progressive scan dvd players can recognize it. Hopefully I'm wrong. I tried it out on 2 dvd players I own, both newer, and It the dvd played fine... Hopefully this is in the right forum. I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance, guys. Take it easy. Happy Labor Day!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Douglas,

H.264 is not a DVD codec, it is an HD codec. Just about no regular DVD player will play it. Since you said 720p, I assume you are talking about BluRay or HD-DVD?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
I've heard from a few people that the H.264 codec won't play in certain dvd players? Does this hold true?
Yes, the far majority of them.

Quote:
If so... What dvds won't play the codec, and what dvd is player IS able to play it. [...] I tried it out on 2 dvd players I own, both newer, and It the dvd played fine
This is the first time I've heard of an upconverting red-laser DVD player that can play 720p h.264. What are the model numbers?
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi, some newer DVD players can play non-standard formats, like MPEG-4, DivX, XviD, H.264, etc. but only as an exception, and not a rule. Most DVD players usually only play MPEG-2 videos encoded to the official DVD specifications. It has nothing to do with progressive scan DVD players. So if you were going to burn something for a friend, I wouldn't use H.264, but if it works for your DVD players, then you're in luck! It's a useful feature. Let me know if this helps.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Daniel, I own a Daewoo... It doesn't list the specifications on it. The other is a Phillips, HTS 3450. Both of which are progressive scan...

Now, I have another question. Is it possible to use an mpeg-2 codec in fcp to burn a dvd? If not, are there any other options? The footage on my timeline is 720p, 24fps... The reason why I ask is I shot a live event about a month ago, and I'm selling upward to 100-200 copies. Hopefully I'm not in as bad as a situation as I think I am.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
This is the first time I've heard of an upconverting red-laser DVD player that can play 720p h.264. What are the model numbers?
Quote:
Phillips HTS 3450.
I found the Phillips HTS 3450 Spec Sheet, but it doesn't say anything about h.264 or MPEG-4 part 10. Either you are wrong, or the spec is incorrect.

I hope for the latter, because I would really like to buy a red-laser DVD player that could support h264, high-profile, 1080p, at 10mbps+.

It wouldn't be any major technical achievement: manufacturers could just put the DSP from a blue-laser dvd player into red-laser DVD products. They probably haven't because the market for it is too small.

Last edited by Daniel Browning; September 4th, 2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: s/manual/spec sheet/
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, man. That's the dvd player I have. I think you're thinking, I'm burning my dvds to hd, or blu-ray dvds. I'm burning them to standard dvd-r. It's just downscaled HD.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Yeah, man. That's the dvd player I have. I think you're thinking, I'm burning my dvds to hd, or blu-ray dvds. I'm burning them to standard dvd-r. It's just downscaled HD.
No, I understand you are buring a file of some sort to red-laser DVD-5. I got excited for a little while when you said it was "H.264", but now I wonder if you perhaps confused that with MPEG-4, DivX, or another codec. (Or perhaps the resolution is not really 1280x720? Or the bitrate is under 1mbps?)
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Daniel, I'm kind of lost here... I'm still pretty knew to dvd authoring, etc. How I'm burning dvds now, will they be able to play on most dvd players? Please elaborate.
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Daniel, I'm kind of lost here... I'm still pretty knew to dvd authoring, etc. How I'm burning dvds now, will they be able to play on most dvd players? Please elaborate.
If you want compatibilty, you absolutely must forego high-definition completely and burn regular standard-definition DVD.

If you want to distribute high-definition content on regular red-laser DVD, then you must tell your customers that it will only play in one of the following:

1. A computer or HTPC with the proper codec installed (DivX, MP4, h.264, MP2, etc.), display program (e.g. Media Player Classic), sufficient processor power (varies with codec, resolution, and bitrate), and display resolution (1280x720 or greater).

2. An up-converting DVD player that supports the codec (e.g. MP4) , resolution (e.g. 720p), and bit-rate (e.g. 4mbps), a high-definition cable (component, DVI, HDMI), and high-def TV.

Again, there's no technical reason that such DVD players couldn't be built, I just haven't heard of any. The spec on yours doesn't even claim to.

Last edited by Daniel Browning; September 5th, 2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Add a few details.
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
If you want to distribute high-definition content on regular red-laser DVD, then you must tell your customers that it will only play in one of the following:

1. A computer or HTPC with the proper codec installed (DivX, MP4, h.264, MP2, etc.), display program (e.g. Media Player Classic), sufficient processor power (varies with codec, resolution, and bitrate), and display resolution (1280x720 or greater).
Incidentally, this is exactly what I do: MPEG-2 720p at 10mbps. MPEG-2 doesn't require very much processor to decode, and 10mbps is only requires a '7X' DVD player. It's a good idea to include a free MPEG-2 codec and player on the disc with installation instructions.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite