DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Printing Still from a DVD

Sorry this is a bit off topic.

A friend of mine recently purchase the sports car that William Holden drives in the movie Sabrina. It's a bit rough around the edges and wants to restore it to the same condition it was in the movie.

He'd like to get stills of the car from the movie but the DVD is copy protected.

Anyone know how I might be able to accomplish this?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Play the DVD on a PC.

Pause it at the appropriate place.

Hit the "Prt Scrn" button towards top right of the PC keyboard.
This will take a screen-shot of the screen.

Paste it into any application : Word, Notepad, Wordpad, Excel, Photoshop etc , and crop it and then save or print as necessary.

EDIT: Sorry just see this is on Mac forum...
no problem, same sort of thing. Instead of "Prt Scrn", the mac equivalent is SHIFT + COMMAND + 3. You will hear a "click" (camera shutter) and the image is saved to the Images folder on the mac. Find it, import to IPhoto, and crop it and save it as necessary.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
Play the DVD on a PC.

Pause it at the appropriate place.

Hit the "Prt Scrn" button towards top right of the PC keyboard.
This will take a screen-shot of the screen.

Paste it into any application : Word, Notepad, Wordpad, Excel, Photoshop etc , and crop it and then save or print as necessary.

EDIT: Sorry just see this is on Mac forum...
no problem, same sort of thing. Instead of "Prt Scrn", the mac equivalent is SHIFT + COMMAND + 3. You will hear a "click" (camera shutter) and the image is saved to the Images folder on the mac. Find it, import to IPhoto, and crop it and save it as necessary.
Doesn't work. If the DVD is copy protected you can't use screen capture to grab a still and VLC won't play it.

I got a copy of MacRipper and that worked.

Thanks for the reply.
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Chuck is correct. On the Mac, the screen grab functionality is disabled when the DVD player is active.

Probably your best bet in this situation would be SnapzProX from Ambrosia Software. I think there are a couple of versions available with corresponding pricing. I believe that the "stills only" capture version is about $29, and the higher priced one ($69) allows you to capture moving video.

I understand that there are a few other recently released competing products out there that are similar, some lower priced, and some higher, but I don't remember their names and haven't used them.

I use SnapzProX (video capture version) to capture onscreen video of my use of various applications to create demos of how to use those applications. Its pretty effortless.

-Jon
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the info Jon.

I ended up using MacRipper with screen grab. The quality wasn't bad, but since I didn't care about quality [these are for reference] it was fine.

I'll check out SnapZPro. Thanks again.

Last edited by Chuck Spaulding; September 10th, 2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I can't type this morning
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

for a full rez version....

Use MPEG Stremclip to open the VOB file. Then export the frame as a still image.
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite