DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 10th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Interlace Problem in FCP?

Does FCP have a problem with video shot in either 30i or 60i??

I shot a wedding set on 60i, 4:3, and when I imported it into FCP the quality went down dramatically. I've got a post on the forum about FCP exporting to DVD Studio Pro with interlace artifacts, but I now want to see if the problem is in the original DV tape itself, or FCP.

Why is it that when I play the DVD footage on my LCD TV there are obvious artifacts? I imported the footage as 3:2 DV NTSC. Could this be a problem? The Sequence Setting has the interlace set at upper field (it was originally lower field, but the upper field seemed to help a little bit). The video codec is H.264.

Ahhhh! I would REALLY love to find out what I can do to fix this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Major Player

If your problem is "interlacing" I really don't think you can "fix" it. SD DVDs are interlaced, don't try to deinterlace something going to an SD DVD. Can someone else confirm this?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Okay, yeah, that's what I thought. A DVD software will just re-interlace anything anyway.

So, what exactly might be the problem here? I've recorded 30i and 60i footage on my XL2 with no prior such problem. So, is there something I might be able to do to sharpen the image or, more precisely, make the artifacts much less obvious?
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh, and by the way, when I shoot in 60i, 4:3 format, what is the correct import format I should use for FCP? Is it 4:3 or the default setting I have of 3:2?
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Just open up a new project w/the DV/NTSC Easy Setup and all the sequence and project settings will be correct.

You mentioned H.264 in your original post. What did you use h.264 for? If you are editing NTSC DV w/the intent of putting it on an SD DVD h.264 should appear anywhere in your work flow.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. The Sequence Setting was initially at DV NTSC codec setting; I changed it to H.264 to see if it would make any difference that way.

In any case, can I open a new project with the Easy DV NTSC setup, and then import my existing project into it? Would that take care of the issue?
Old September 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishad Dewan View Post
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. The Sequence Setting was initially at DV NTSC codec setting; I changed it to H.264 to see if it would make any difference that way.

In any case, can I open a new project with the Easy DV NTSC setup, and then import my existing project into it? Would that take care of the issue?
As long as your media was captured using the proper DV NTSC settings then, yes, you can import them into a new DV NTSC project. That would be my first step in narrowing down the problem.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Vishad, this may or may not be helpful for your particular situation, but I once had to convert some footage which looked horribly interlaced (so bad that something looked definitely wrong). I think the codec of the original footage was some sort of MPEG-2 variant and I had to convert it to a DV Quicktime movie.

I used MPEG Streamclip (it's a free download from Squared5, you can Google it). I did an "Export to Quicktime" and checked the box which said "Deinterlace Video".

It got rid of the "terribly interlaced" look and the resultant footage was excellent except for some slight artifacting during the quick dissolves (which wasn't really noticeable by the viewer when played at normal speed).

I then put the DV Quicktime into Compressor to make the DVD assets and the resultant .m2v file maintained the excellent quality.

This may not match your circumstances but I thought it worth mentioning as it could provide you with a workable option.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Major Player

If your video looks good in your timeline, then the problem is not final cut. If you are having artifact issues, that can happen if h264 was not set to best, or maybe if you use studio pro, it has to recompress your h264! But if you have studio pro, you might just want to import an uncompressed quicktime to burn. (export quicktime-NOT CONVERSION from final cut for an uncompressed video.) Newer DVD studio pro will compress it for you, and under the preferences you can select two pass vbr, and bring up the bitrate (just a little or it will fail) for higher quality. If you do this you know you've done all you can.
But if your video looks bad in final cut, you've got a different problem. And if studio pro does fail, throw away the folder called "mpeg" that it makes, and turn down the bitrate a little.
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Aric,

Yeah, it's the footage in the timeline that's bad as well. But since I almost alway shoot in 60i I figured it was just my monitor not displaying both fields.

I'll try MpegStreamclip to see if that works. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #11
Major Player

If the footage in your timeline is bad then make a new sequence, hold control and click on the sequence and select settings. experiment with new settings, and bring in a clip, see if it looks better.
This just happened to me today, where I was given a quicktime movie and put it into the default FCP timeline. Final cut gave me an error and said that the clip doesn't match my sequence settings, it said it could change the settings to match that of the clip. I clicked OK and the clip looked awful. It was actually harsh interlacing, more than usual. I made my own sequence settings in a new sequence and brought the same clip in, and it looked great. But I had to render the whole clip to play it.
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, thanks, Aric! I'll do that right after I finish testing with Mpeg Streamclip. I'll post how everything goes!
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #13
Major Player

actually that didn't work. I got it to look god in final cut, but after the DVD was burned it went back to an extra jagged interlaced look. I just brought it into after effects and interpretted footage, to fix it. This seems to be working so far.
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I tried that in AE last week and it really didn't seem to work too well for me. Then again my video is about 120mins, so....

Anyway, someone else posted another way to fix this. It sounds like it could work. Here's the link http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...949#post742949.

The comment is at the bottom of the post.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #15
Major Player

Interpret footage seemed to work for me, you said you tried that already? You know to select upper or lower in the "seperate fields" drop down right? Off does nothing.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite