DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Major Player

.AVI file issues - Any Ideas?

For some reason lately I cannot seem to open .avi files and I don't know why.

I'm running OS X 10.3.9, Quicktime 7.2 (Full Version), and Final Cut Express 2.0.2.

I use to be able to open these files, using the same software, but then I had an issue with my OS and had to format my hard disk and re-install everything. After doing that - no .AVI, not even files that used to work before the re-install. So I'm pretty sure that it is a plug-in or maybe an upgrade issue, but I can't seem to locate it. And now I have a client that has sent me a file that I need to use, and of course, it's .AVI.

Any thoughts?
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, I tracked down one part of the problem. The video that I need to open is an AVI file, but it uses the IV50 CODEC. Any ideas on converting this? I know IV50 is a PC only CODEC, so am I out of luck?
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60366
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the link.

I followed those instructions and was able to open the file in the old version of Quicktime on my Mac. The issue I have now is that I have no way to export the file and save it in a format that Final Cut Express will recognize.

Any ideas?

I have called and talked to Apple Care Support and they think that I may be able to export in a different file format if I had the Pro version of the old version of Quicktime (version 6). But they don't sell the product key for version 6 anymore.

Anybody have one they want to sell me?

Any other ideas?

I was able to get my client to re-encode the video on his PC. He sent me a MPEG file that my system won't recognize. Every time I try to open it I get a message of "Wrong File Type"

I found a player that is cross platform, VLC Player. I can open the MPEG file with this program, but again there doesn't seem to be an option to export it into another format.

Any help at all would be great... I'm dyin' here...
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you tried ffmpegX? That's what I use to transcode MPEG output from my MythTV PVR (and other sources), so it may work for your footage as well.
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Install Perian. It's a Quicktime component that allows you to play many formats. You should be able to open almost anything up in the latest version of Quicktime. If all else fails, try MPEG Streamclip to convert the file to whatever format you want. There's rarely a file MPEG Streamclip can't handle.

Perian
http://www.perian.org

MPEG Streamclip
http://www.squared5.com/
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.

I started with trying Perian - no go, it is only for OS 10.4+ (still using 10.3.9)

Then I tried Stream clip. Which didn't work, but an error message said that I needed to install the MPEG2 component for quicktime to open the file. $20 later I was up and running with just Quicktime.

Not exactly opening up the .AVI and exporting it into a file that FCE would read, but thanks to my client sending me a new file, and the help on this board, I'm up and running again. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to find out a solution.

Thank you all for your help.

Kevin
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #8
New Boot

I have another question also. I'm trying to ad my friends video to a Final Cut Pro session, but he only has a AVI of his video. I've already did his interview and have that placed in FCP, but now I need to add his music video at the end of my program. But it's in AVI, how can I convert this or get it into FCP? Thank you.
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Sean, if it's a DV AVI, you should be able to use it in Final Cut Pro without any conversion. If it's anything else though, you can use MPEG Streamclip, and convert it to a DV Quicktime File.

Last edited by Chris Harris; September 30th, 2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added name
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks Chris, Hmmmm.... the file extention just says AVI movie. So I don't know if it's DV AVI or not. I'll have to ask him or the person who created it. Hmmm.... I tried importing it in MPEG Streamclip and it will not see it.
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Sean, even if Quicktime won't play the file you can open it in Quicktime and then click on "Window" on the menu bar and then click "Show Movie Properties" (or just control-J for the shortcut). This will bring up another window with a chart at the top and under "Format" it will give you the CODEC involved, which will say if its DV or something else.

HTH...

Kevin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite