Capturing questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing questions

I'm using FCP 5, and have a few questions I can't seem to answer using the manual:

1. I'm trying to capture miniDV tapes in a way such that if the capture drive fails and I lose all of my captured video files, I can revive the project by simply recapturing the lost video files.

I assume the best way to do this to log each clip, then batch capture ... and then if the drive fails, I can open the project (since the project file is stored on the system drive), select the clips I want to recapture, then batch capture them. Is this correct?

2. I have been capturing entire miniDV tapes by logging the starting point (usually 8 seconds from the beginning) and logging the end point where the time code ends on the tape. But I'd rather not have to log the end point, and just rewind the tape and have FCP automatically log the end point for me. Is there anyway to do this? In other words, have FCP just stop capturing when the filmed portion of the tape ends, and preserve the clip? I find that if I don't specify the end, then the entire clip seems to be lost ...
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Major Player

1. If you batch capture clips, write down the timecode. (Or is there some option to export a list of captured chunks that can later be imported and reused? Not sure on that.)
If you capture all of the footage right from the tapes, then just repeat that process. Should match up.
For replacing:
1. Close FCP.
2. Rename to the exact name your old file had, and be sure the files match exactly, especially in length (even if the end is unused), or FCP WILL get confused and make you locate each clip manually.
3. Open FCP again. (Save, too.)
DO NOT try this with FCP open or you'll get windows popping up like crazy trying to locate clips.

Better answer here... just back up your footage to a secondary drive. Much easier.

2. Hmm... I'd think you could just run it and let it go. Watch and stop it so it doesn't work the camera any harder than it needs, but I believe that it just doesn't capture anything if the tape is blank, so you should end up capturing just the footage.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite