Camera Flash Transition?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Flash Transition??

Does anyone know where I can find a flash transition for FCP? I had one a little while ago, but it disappeared when I had to reinstall my OS. I'd prefer something that's free, but I'm willing to pay for the transition.
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Major Player

I think you're looking or this: http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Why bother with a plugin?

Keyframe brightness and contrast. Make a standard settings keyframe one frame before the end of the clip. On the last frame, pull it up to maybe 75% each, then you'll get a very bright overexposed look. Insert a white frame after. Then apply the same brightness/contrast settings to the next clip, with the brighter frame at the start.

You could change this around a bit.

Is that what you're after?
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Aha! Yes, that's exactly it. I'll do that, thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Why even bother keyframing brightness and contrast?

Just use the Dip to Color Dissolve. Apply the transition, double-click to bring up the controls in the viewer, then set the color to white (or a very, very light gray if you want to stay broadcast safe). Many times, just a short, 3-10 frame transition will give you the effect you're looking for.

Often, to get a "flashbulb popping" kind of transition, you want the dip to color to be very quick, just 2 or 3 frames, then the dissolve back to the next clip to be much slower, maybe 20 frames or so. In that case, double-click the Dip to Color Dissolve to bring up the controls in the Viewer. Try setting the start to 40-50% instead of 0%.

Or, to get even fancier, create a Color Solid from the Generator popup (lower right-hand corner of the viewer) and place it between the two clips you want to flash to/from. Then just apply a dissolve at each end. You can right-click each transition and change the transition alignment, so that the first dissolve ends on the first edit, and the second dissolve begins on the second edit. The advantage here is that you end up with an easily tweakable transition, adjustable on both ends. You can also change the color of the solid, say to a whitish yellow, or blue, or green if you prefer. You could also choose to replace the solid with a cool, flash-y still image, like a custom gradient from white to another color, or even another video clip to create another cool effect.

But 95% of the time, the Dip to Color Dissolve will do it.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Major Player

That's simpler, yes, but it won't overexpose the clip properly. It will just wash in from white, bringing up the black levels.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Major Player

I use several of the plugins from Natress. I believe the website is www.natress.com I like to use the g-film flash filter.

John
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Be Careful! there's a typo in that address.

It should be www.nattress.com - (two Ts) to get graeme's company for his highly rated and recommended filters and plugins.

[url]www.natress.com[/url] (one T) seems to have been put up by an automated domain grabber, albeit one that has "automatically" associated itself with Graeme's services. (The mention "Graham Natress" plugins - two spellign errors in a row!)
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Yep...my bad. I mis labeled the folder I have them in.
John

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite