how to get that film glare look? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 1st, 2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how to get that film glare look?

im not sure how to explain it but i guess you would call it a glare? its when in a part of the screen, usually before switching shots, there is a bright yellow, orange, or red kind of flash, like the film is being over exposed in that area or something its hard to explain.
but if you know what i mean can you help me get that effect? im using fcs2
Scot Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't know about in FCS2, but there is a "Lens Flare" effect in iMovie. Maybe take a look at it and see if it will do what you want.
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Major Player

I believe that the effect you're looking for is what happens when a magazine of film reaches the end, and rolls out. Several things are happening at this time, which will each take a different tack to simulate.

First - motion. When the film in a magazine ends, the tension of the film on the incoming reel is released, often messing with the frame rate. The most often used effect is to speed the clip up at that point. Now that I think about it, that's counter-intuitive. With the film running faster through the gate, the image should go into slo-mo for the last second. Hmm. Any way, try razoring off the last second or so of the clip and changing the speed. In fact, try razoring a few times, and make the first one, say 200%, then make the next one 50%. Mix it up.

Second - exposure. For some reason, perhaps together with the speed change, the film often becomes overexposed. That's a big part of the "Flash" effect. Try applying a 3-way color corrector, and crank up the Luminance on the Mids and Blacks a ton. Maybe add a glow effect also.

Third - damage. All sorts of funky things start happening when a piece of film is flapping uncontrolled through the gate. You can simulate rocketing around in the gate by rescaling, rotating slightly, adding a directional blur filter, etc. The idea is to grunge up the image a lot. Also, sometimes there's a orange/yellow bright glow. Copy your video and paste it over itself on the video 2 track. Then tweak the colors to a bright orange or yellow and blur the heck out of it. Then use a Hard Light or Soft Light Composite mode on the top clip to tint the underlying clip (right-click>Composite Mode>Hard Light).

Finally, in the last few frames, take the clip and toss it offscreen quickly. Actually, that's more like the film running out through a projector, but it looks cool anyway.

I've attached a quick and dirty try at the effect. Email me in my profile, if you like, and I'll send you the FCP project file, so you can tweak it to your own liking.
Attached Files
File Type: mov Film Flash.mov (116.9 KB, 317 views)
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Anderson View Post
I believe that the effect you're looking for is what happens when a magazine of film reaches the end, and rolls out. Several things are happening at this time, which will each take a different tack to simulate.

First - motion. When the film in a magazine ends, the tension of the film on the incoming reel is released, often messing with the frame rate. The most often used effect is to speed the clip up at that point. Now that I think about it, that's counter-intuitive. With the film running faster through the gate, the image should go into slo-mo for the last second. Hmm. Any way, try razoring off the last second or so of the clip and changing the speed. In fact, try razoring a few times, and make the first one, say 200%, then make the next one 50%. Mix it up.

Second - exposure. For some reason, perhaps together with the speed change, the film often becomes overexposed. That's a big part of the "Flash" effect. Try applying a 3-way color corrector, and crank up the Luminance on the Mids and Blacks a ton. Maybe add a glow effect also.

Third - damage. All sorts of funky things start happening when a piece of film is flapping uncontrolled through the gate. You can simulate rocketing around in the gate by rescaling, rotating slightly, adding a directional blur filter, etc. The idea is to grunge up the image a lot. Also, sometimes there's a orange/yellow bright glow. Copy your video and paste it over itself on the video 2 track. Then tweak the colors to a bright orange or yellow and blur the heck out of it. Then use a Hard Light or Soft Light Composite mode on the top clip to tint the underlying clip (right-click>Composite Mode>Hard Light).

Finally, in the last few frames, take the clip and toss it offscreen quickly. Actually, that's more like the film running out through a projector, but it looks cool anyway.

I've attached a quick and dirty try at the effect. Email me in my profile, if you like, and I'll send you the FCP project file, so you can tweak it to your own liking.
yeah that video is what i mean, but what i want is alot less intense and sudden, i just want like a soft orange/redish flare in the the corner/corners, but im sure i can figure it out now, thanks for the help.
Scot Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

im not sure how to explain it but i guess you would call it a glare? its when in a pa

I know exactly what you are talking about. Coming up during the crossover from film to digital, I worked with a lot of film and wandered if I could get that effect myself. Red Giant has a software called Magic Bullet suite that has many plu-ins for FCP. And one of them is the "roll-out" tranisition you are looking for. Only thing is it cost over 700 dollars. I got the Magic Bullet editors for about 350 and that transition is not included in that bundle. If you want to see what that tranisiton looks like(the REd Giant website doesn't do it justice). Go to the Panasonic HD camera forum and look for a thread that say HVX footage with Red Rock M2 adapter. Early in the thread some guys from Motivity films in Minneapolis gave a link to some sample footage they shot with the adapter. In that footage they show exactly what I was talking about and they even title what they are doing so you can be aware of what you are looking at.
Mike Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Anderson View Post
First - motion. When the film in a magazine ends, the tension of the film on the incoming reel is released, often messing with the frame rate. The most often used effect is to speed the clip up at that point. Now that I think about it, that's counter-intuitive. With the film running faster through the gate, the image should go into slo-mo for the last second.
What's happening is the motor is slowing down. As film is mechanical rather than electronic, and the film is literally running through the gate, there's quite a lot of tension on the film so there needs to be time for the motor to speed up when started and then decelerate when stopped. (hence the old need for someone on set to call "speed" when the cam is running at the right speed and in sync.)

this free plugin pack - http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/ - has "flashframe" which will at least do the "flash" part of what you want, for the speeding up slowing down, you could try the time remapping tool.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

In this thread they also added some footage with that effect

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=98411
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Trustee

If you have Boris RED 4.0 or higher, there are some film roll out effects that I created for the product. open the library window and look for New Effects Steve Oakley FilmFX
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Tourist

It is not a film effect but rather the flash frames of overexposure as the film camera comes up to sync speed of 24fps.You can achieve this simply by slugging in some white frames or wash out some key frames of your scene in color correction in FCP.Hope that helps some. Andy Smith
Andrew A. Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite