DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Changes to individual clips after multiclip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/105232-changes-individual-clips-after-multiclip.html)

Dana Salsbury October 8th, 2007 12:10 PM

Changes to individual clips after multiclip

I finished the multiclip editing and noticed one angle needs a motion rotation adjustment. I read the manual chapter, but I don't see if/how it's possible to make a universal change to just one of my angles without starting over. It has to be possible. Is it?

Bill Davis October 8th, 2007 01:06 PM

I've never tried this but here would be my thinking.

First, do you want to keep the capability to re-edit IN MULTICAM? If not, just use the media manager to export the project to a new traditional timeline, select one clip that needs rotation, apply said rotation, then select all the clips that need the same rotation and use the "PASTE ATTRIBUTES" command to batch apply the new rotation to them all. Re-render and you're done.

If you DO want to preserve your multi-cam editing options, it's probably going to be a bit more complicated.

First, since FCP uses a proxy system, you'd need to try applying the rotation to your original source clips in the browser.

Next, you'd probably need to refresh your "make multiclip" - and possibly even apply a "Make offline" to the clips from that angle, before re-linking them to the new multiclip,

Should be a modest pain in the butt, but probably better than starting the whole edit over!

Anyone do this regularly and have better workflow tips? (I don't use multi-cam a lot so this is guessing based on having done 2 or 3 multicam projects over as many years.)

Dana Salsbury October 8th, 2007 01:44 PM

Thank you Bill. Hey -- you're right down the road.

Yeah, I wanted to keep my edits. I tried taking the browser clip offline and then using 'reconnect media'. It caused the four shots in the viewer to pop on and off (to black) with every transition. I guess I'm going to need to have everything ready before applying the multiclip. For this job I'm going to delete my edits and the multiclip and start over. I'm learning a lot as I go anyway.

I'd still like to learn this, as I hate to think that once I multiclip I can only either adjust individual clips or batch them.

Dana Salsbury October 8th, 2007 06:34 PM

Bill, you mention that it's a proxy system. I don't understand, then, why the changes I make to the browser clip don't carry to the timeline with the edited multiclip. Isn't that where it's pulling the data? Going to every third clip through the timeline for one general color correction is unworkable, and I would think Apple would've thought of that.

BTW, what kind of stuff do you film?

Bill Davis October 10th, 2007 12:55 AM

It's a proxy system, but if you think about it, there's got to be a limit to the "discussion" between the browser clips and their proxys or any change you made to any proxy clip in the timeline would reflect back to the browser master - and then potentially out to all the other clips linked to that master clip - and everything would be a royal mess everytime you applied a filter to anything.

The way FCP does things makes a lot of sense as you learn it, but, as you've discovered, there are stages where if you haven't fixed something previously, it gets more complicated to fix them later.

Just the nature of the complicated beast.

I do primarily corporate video for pretty big companies. How about you?

Nate Weaver October 10th, 2007 01:01 AM

I don't think you have to collapse the multiclip, not reconnect media to do any of this.

I'd:

1-Apply the rotation to the first instance of the clip in the sequence

2-Copy that clip

3-Do a find on that clip in that sequence. That should select every instance of the angle in the timeline

4-Option-V (paste attributes), using the basic motion checkbox to paste the rotation to the selected clips.

I've not tried this, and I'm too lazy to fire up FCP to find out, but why wouldn't this work. I often do the find trick in multiclip sequences to paste my color corrections to every instance of a camera angle.

Dana Salsbury October 11th, 2007 02:02 AM

You made my day and my week. Thank you Nate. I knew it could be done!