DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   ow edit out the actual footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/105334-ow-edit-out-actual-footage.html)

Kevin Carter October 9th, 2007 07:17 PM

ow edit out the actual footage?

Sometimes I want to edit out parts the actual QT file on my hard drive? how do I do this? being non destructive I can't figure this out.

Somone suggested to me technicque of setting in and out points and exporting, but here is problem:I export : Quick Time Movie and I get a Final Cut Express Movie File 1/10 size of my original file.

I export "using quicktime conversion"It's take forever, but I do get a QT file, but it's 1/4 size of originail with different data rates etc. So I'm still lost on how to do this.
(I only cut off 4 seconds of a 30 second QT file)

I'm on FE HD express.

Victor Kellar October 9th, 2007 11:44 PM

First of all, bear in mind, that if, for example, you import an entire tape but only use 15 minutes of it, if you delete that tape from your Scratch folder, you will lose everything.

Best way is, upon capturing, use Capture Clip to capture what you want

Having said that, if you have captured more than what you need, your best alternative is create a new sequence and drop into it everything you've already done, including edited sequences. Export that as a self-contained Quicktime Movie. (you could export as several files if its better for your work flow) QT movie is simply a .mov file and maintains your best quality. Re-import that file back into FCE. Then you could go ahead and delete the raw footage from your Scratch disk

The key is to export as self contained movie, not a reference file

Bear in mind that this new QT movie you are bringing back into FCE is just a movie file. All the video and audio tracks will be mixed together into one video track and one stereo pair so not that great for making changes to.

Daniel Ross October 10th, 2007 02:29 AM

If you have FCP, it came with a license for quicktime pro. This is probably installed by default; if not, use the key that came with FCP (for the older versions).

Open the clip in QT, use the i and o keys to set in and out points and delete.
This is VERY basic editing with only 1 undo (be careful, and if you mess up DON'T SAVE, just start over), then you can save as... make movie self-contained, then you can delete the original footage.

Or edit in FCP and export full quality. QT will be faster, though.

Also, though it does take space, it's usually worth it to keep the footage around in case you need something from it (happens a lot-- you'll regret not having it if you delete it, in some cases, anyway).

If you do have a tape backup, that isn't much of a concern. In fact, if you are keeping a tape backup and want to just use some of the footage, I'd suggest using batch capture and specifying clips you DO want (it helps to keep track of timecode while shooting, this way), rather than capturing it all.

Kevin Carter October 10th, 2007 07:06 PM

Thanks guys! yes I think QT pro is much faster. I just get thown off cause I dont see in and out in menu anywhere, but I'll use the keyboard trick.

Daniel Ross October 10th, 2007 07:08 PM

The keyboard is nice and accurate (and you can use the arrow keys to help too). If you want a graphic interface, though, you can drag the small triangles below the playbar to set in/out points, and if selected they will move with the arrow keys too.

Kevin Carter October 24th, 2007 10:28 AM

Daniel or others:
I just opened a 10 second clip in QT. I set in and out points for a 2 second clip. I exported as QT movie, but the export comes out with the full 10 seconds, so I'm lost here. It's like its ignoring the in and out points.

Tim Dashwood October 24th, 2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Carter (Post 763917)
Daniel or others:
I just opened a 10 second clip in QT. I set in and out points for a 2 second clip. I exported as QT movie, but the export comes out with the full 10 seconds, so I'm lost here. It's like its ignoring the in and out points.

You have to "trim to selection" first, then export. I think you could also simply save or save as after you have trimmed to your 'selection' (in and out points.)

Tim Dashwood October 24th, 2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Kellar (Post 756765)
... if you have captured more than what you need, your best alternative is create a new sequence and drop into it everything you've already done, including edited sequences. Export that as a self-contained Quicktime Movie. (you could export as several files if its better for your work flow) QT movie is simply a .mov file and maintains your best quality. Re-import that file back into FCE. Then you could go ahead and delete the raw footage from your Scratch disk

Use the media manager if the intended end result is to delete material from clips that will not or has not been used. MM is much less hassle and maintains the original TC and tape names of the clips. You can mark in and out points on each clip in your bin, select those clips and then use MM to remove unused media.

There are many different other ways to use MM in your workflow. I like to use it to archive a sequence after it has been approved and/or output. Just select the sequence and either copy with handles (for later complete deletion of original capture scratch folder) or use the trimming capabilities of MM to remove all unused media.

Kevin Carter October 24th, 2007 11:57 AM

Ah! Trim to selection, thanks Tim.
Yes, when I drag into Final Cut, this works easily as well, but QT, is just so fast if you want a down and dirty quick new version of something.

Never learned the media manager yet. not really an editor.