Out put for broadcast from FCP (720p HVX footage) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Out put for broadcast from FCP (720p HVX footage)

O.K. folks. I know I'm probably opening myself up for a tongue lashing, but here it goes anyway. I shot, am shooting, a music video that is going to be broadcast on Mtv Tempo. That's the new Mtv channel for the Caribean folk. I believe they may have different broadcast standards because I am told that I can submit the video on DVD or even Digital Tape(I believe, go figure). So no need for an on-line. So my question is, what would you all suggest I do to output so that the I can retain the best quality picture, i.e. proper dimension, color quality, and exposure? The reason is that when I go to DV I lose about a half a stop(and I don't care what anyone says, digital or not you lose picture quality), and I'm not sure if I should or can go Hi-def DVD from FCP 5.0.4 with the current DVD burner. AND everytime I output my footage to DVD it gets squashed(640 by 480) instead of the 720 by 480. Of course that's in standard definition not Hi-def. I haven't tried to output to a Hi-def aspect ration yet.

I know this is kind of a stream of thought nd a little disjointed, but any help would be appreciated.

If anything I would love to know why my picture is always squashed when I output to DVD. And no, not when I go Hi-def.
Mike Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's a stream of thought response.

They probably want standard definition video so the best course of action would be to make a new sequence in 4:3 DV-NTSC and drag in the completed 720p timeline. It will become letterboxed which is fine. Use the 3-Way Color Correction filter to fix the 1/2 stop you seem to be losing (never has happened to me). Render the new sequence, output to DV (or DVCam tape) and make a standard DVD via Compressor and DVD Studio Pro. That should cover all the bases.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite