DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Exporting to tape camera question.

I have to export an assignment for school to tape and am unsure how to do it. I know the steps to send it to tape in final cut but my question is when using an hdv camera should I have it set to hdv or dv? The footage in the timeline is hdv but the settings on the timeline are ntsc dv 3:2. The tape will be blank that I am exporting to if that matters.

The camera is sony too so it has downconvert but I'm guessing I wouldn't have to turn that on. Also the tape is going to played on a dv deck not an hdv deck since my school doesn't have them.

Last edited by James Brill; October 14th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi James, set the camera to DV. Make sure the Final Cut Pro (in Easy Set Up) is also set to DV.

Downconvert is irrelevant as you're not using HDV mode at all to record back to tape.

And to lay back to a camera, I think you'll need Print to Video rather than Export to Tape
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Will a HDV timeline/footage be down converted if I record straight back to Mini DV tape or will it be full resolution?

Can this be done on either Avid or Mac?

Anyhelp thanks.
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Antoniou View Post
Will a HDV timeline/footage be down converted if I record straight back to Mini DV tape or will it be full resolution?
Hi Simon, not really sure of the question here, but I think the answer is
  • An HDV timeline with HDV footage will be recorded at full resolution on MiniDV cassette if sent as HDV over firewire to a compatible HDV camera.
  • HDV will be recorded at DV resolution if downconverted to a DV timeline in the NLE and sent as DV to an miniDV camera (or an HDV camera set to SD DV mode).
The camera will not down convert HDV into DV on the way in, only on the way OUT.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite