DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Advantages of Apple in video editing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/105806-advantages-apple-video-editing.html)

Brian Boyko October 16th, 2007 12:47 PM

Advantages of Apple in video editing?

I need to get a new Laptop before the trip. What are some of the advantages of an Apple?

Daniel Ross October 16th, 2007 12:57 PM

Search through some recent threads. If this is discussed it will no doubt turn into a debate.

I like using my Mac. Lots of people do. It's up to you. A PC can do the same stuff, generally.

Josh Laronge October 16th, 2007 01:51 PM

It's not Windows!

Glenn Chan October 16th, 2007 02:04 PM

1- IMO, the NLE you use will make a much greater impact on your productivity than what OS you go with (OS X or Windows... or some flavour of Linux).

And the NLE you go with will likely dictate which OS you go with, since FCP only runs on OS X and others only run on Windows. (With the exception of NLEs that will run on either platform.)

So I'd advise you to pick your NLE first, then get the appropriate hardware.

2- As far as Mac versus "PC" goes, there are some differences between the OSes. I find OS X clean and simple, and there isn't a lot of malware (viruses, spyware, etc.) that targets that platform. It's pretty easy to use.
On the downside, if your computer is broken, there isn't as great a range of tools to fix it (on powerPC Macs anyways). And of course it doesn't run PC programs.

Interchange between Mac and PC:

--With Bootcamp, you can have both operating systems on a Mac.
*Bootcamp doesn't work perfectly... I recently got a Santa Rosa laptop (Macbook Pro) and the install did not go perfectly (buggy...). But I did manage to get both operating systems on my laptop.

--The file systems are different.
HFS: Windows can't read or write to it.
NTFS: OS X can't write to them.
FAT32: Both platforms can read/write. But you can't have files bigger than 2GB (and a lot of video files are bigger than 2GB).
The easiest solution is to install Macdrive on Windows, allowing you to read and write to HFS volumes.

--The keyboard shortcuts are different between Mac and PC. IMO this is annoying.

--Not all Quicktime codecs are available for PC (Prores, uncompressed 8-bit, DVCPRO50).

I needed to do stuff with both operating systems, so I had to get a Mac. You should look at your own needs to get the appropriate system. If you have limited money, you can find a deal on a laptop (check hot deals sites for your country) and stick Vegas on it. Because the NLEs more or less do the same thing, you can spend your money on other things (lights, audio, etc.), and computers+software lose value pretty quickly.

3- At some level, the NLEs more or less do the same thing in the end. If you want to get into more complicated stuff like compositing, then get a copy of After Effects, Shake, Combustion or Digital Fusion, etc.

Glenn Chan October 16th, 2007 02:05 PM

And a reminder to everyone... no platform wars please.

Josh Laronge October 16th, 2007 03:53 PM

Glenn's right, pick your NLE first. If you choose FCP you have to choose a Mac. (if you're buying a Mac wait 10 days for the new os to come out so you don't get hit with an upgrade charge)

Personally, I like Macs better. But a lot of that reason has to do with the fact that I use them a lot more than pcs. I do run Parallels with XP on on my MBP and it's fine for doing a few things that aren't available for the Mac. But, I would recommend that if you choose a NLE that runs on a PC you get a PC and don't try to do it with Bootcamp or Parallels.

Daniel Ross October 16th, 2007 04:32 PM

Bootcamp runs XP as well as a windows computer (albeit more expensive). No reason not to use an NLE on that.

Premiere is a good cross platform option, though I do like FCP more, myself.

Maurizio Panella October 16th, 2007 04:34 PM

To edit video there's no difference.
I work with Avid Liquid Pro with no problem.
About the platform there's no war: Apple is absolutely better.
With a MacBook 13 I can do everything: editing video with FCExpress, internet, and everything I want.
On Windows it's not possible.
I work on pc and Mac.
And in my opinion Mac is abolutely better.

John Miller October 16th, 2007 06:49 PM

One of the common criticisms of Apple's product line is that it is closed - i.e., OS X is only available and supported for Apple's hardware.

In one instance, there is a distinct advantage: if you want to use OS X then you know what you will be getting hardware-wise.

In the Windows' world, there are an untold number of hardware vendors. Even though the OS is the same, the experience with the whole system can vary dramatically from excellent to so frustrating you want to through the thing through the window (no pun intended).

For example, my company has migrated from Thinkpad laptops to Dell Latitudes. I never had any complaints about my Thinkpad. I hate the Dell with a passion you can only dream of. Both have exactly the same disk image (i.e., OS + applications are identical). It's just the hardware that's different.

So, if you choose the Windows-based laptop route, you'll need to try a variety of brands/models. With an Apple solution, the options are limited and so the user experience is likely to be consistent.

Often the negative Windows experience is due to the hardware rather than the OS itself. Windows and OS X are excellent when configured correctly and married with the right hardware options. Windows suffers when installed on cheap/problematic hardware or careless use w.r.t. viruses etc.

Any claims of one being better than the other can only be subjective. Each person's needs are different and will be better served by different OSes.

Derek Nickell October 17th, 2007 01:39 PM

Pick either PC or Mac, i have used both extensively. But once you pick, stick with it, you dont want to have to learn how to edit all over again with a different system. Been there... its a pain in the ass.

IMHO, Mac editing takes the cake. I have edited with PP2 and Avid on a PC of the same caliber as my 24" iMac. Just not the same.

Brian Boyko October 17th, 2007 02:48 PM

Er... I'm actually very familiar with both Windows and OSX. Truth be told, I'm a big computer geek.

What I really should have asked was FCP vs. Premiere for PC...

Dean Sensui October 17th, 2007 05:14 PM

If you're collaborating with others, you might want to find out what they're using. Makes it easier to exchange works in progress.

Cole McDonald October 17th, 2007 06:32 PM

what's your budget?

John Miller October 17th, 2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyko (Post 760429)
What I really should have asked was FCP vs. Premiere for PC...

Is Premiere your only consideration for the PC?

James Brill October 17th, 2007 07:01 PM

I have just transitioned from premiere pro 2.0 on a 2 grand pc build to final cut 6 on a 3.0 dual core mac pro and I am never gonna look back. The price wasn't bad at all considering each cpu is around 900 bucks. Avid is cross platform and is pretty good depending on which copy you get but I am very content with the final cut suite. Premiere is also cross platform but why get it if you can have final cut. Also there are other ways to run windows on a mac other than boot camp that I hear work better.