what advantages/disadvantages moving from mac(FC) to pc(sony vegas) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
Hi Chis,
ony very simple thing in FCP (don't know about Vegas) makes editing MUCH faster then editing in Premiere Pro, is that you can with one button, unlink all the audio and video on a timeline. With Premiere Pro you have to do it clip by clip, which is a real pain, and I REALLY don't get why Adobe still doesn't get this. Don't they try to edit with their own software to test? (And I'm a Premiere Pro user!).
Yeah, I remember that as an issue. In Vegas, by default, the video and audio tracks are tied, but one mouse click on a button removes that linkage.
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Ok there are two issues here:

1- Your boss is an idiot.

However, you can simply tell him that Macs and PCs interchange pretty well nowadays. Files from PCs will open on Macs (e.g. jpeg, gif, psd, pdf, etc.). Office documents will open if you get open office or microsoft office (with open office, you can get the gist of the file; not all formatting is necessarily correct).
The file system differences is not a problem over a network; otherwise get macdrive.

If you need to deal with other editors, Final Cut is probably the most prevalent NLE out there. There is no NLE standard, but FCP comes the closest.
If you need to move projects between NLEs, it generally probably won't work. Though EDL and Automatic Duck are likely your best bets (depending on what you need to do). But it's far better if both sides are on the same NLE, with compatible versions and the same plug-ins and such.

2- As far as Vegas versus FCP goes, they have their pros and cons. IMO, Vegas is good for one-man army type work if you need to do your own audio, your own color correction, your own (basic) special effects, etc. All those tools are integrated into one program... you don't have to waste time trying to bounce stuff between programs. e.g. Sending a project to Color can be a big, big pain in the butt. Integration with the other elements of FCS is better.
But at the end of the day, they both more or less do the same thing. And they can both get work done reasonably fast.

In some other areas (e.g. working with SDI), Final Cut may be the better tool.

Disclaimer: Vegas happens to be my favorite NLE. :)

3- As far as learning Vegas goes (having learned FCP first), you might find Vegas weird in some aspects. Do read the shortcuts thread stickied at the top of the Vegas forum- it will show you the shortcuts to bread and butter tools that aren't obvious.
e.g. There is no blade edit tool in Vegas, you have to hit "s". That shortcut is not obvious in Vegas.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #18
New Boot

By switching platforms and software, he'll basically be buying a couple of more computers in the thousands of dollars he'll lose to you learning on the job. No offense to you by any means, but it's not the most business sensible decision if things are working currently.

Unless, you work this to your advantage and take that nice Mac computer home with you.
Nate Kadlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #19
Trustee

Just re-read, you also said one of the reasons is the perception that the Mac won't play nice with the PC network/environment...if you can bring me specific problems, I'll solve them on here publicly for you...so everyone can learn from the exchange.

This is still one of the biggest misconceptions about macs...and I believe it's promoted by PC techs whose last contact with apple's computers (if they've had any) was back during the appletalk days. The networking problem most likely is due to a lack of information on their part. And their support network that they call on when they need answers probably doesn't include Mac technicians at all.

Ask them for specific problems, I'll talk you through fixing them...and the problems ;) ---Why can't we all just get along?
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #20
Trustee

Definitely. In fact when I first tried a modern Mac (around 2 months ago) I found it utterly hilarious how the Mac Book Pro I was trying out connected to my Windows network with no problems at all and printed very quickly. While at the same time an IBM Thinkpad laptop with Windows XP Pro on it in the same building takes 30 secs to print anything at all, and often has difficulty connecting with various drives on the network.

The Mac is the most versatile computer. No need to buy another one if you need Windows. Just use Bootcamp or equivilent! :-)
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #21
New Boot

good news....

so my boss ended up buying Sony Vegas Pro 8, BUT he decided that we'd keep the Macs and use Final Cut still. Sony Vegas Pro 8 would just be for him and whatever projects he wanted to do, which mainly would be interviews (i don't know why he would need a $600 software just to put together an interview. could have used movie maker i think). with a buttload of help from you guys here (and some help from B&H), i get to keep my macs and edit the way i want. Thanks again, guys!

-edward

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite