Let's List Our Leopard Experiences... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #16
Trustee

I'm not saying anything about what any one else's upgrade habits should be nor am I indicating that anyone else will have the same experience I did. But I got Jaguar on Friday and decided it leave it off my main work machine temporarily, but go ahead and install it on my plain ol Macbook (dual core Intel) just to play around with it.

Unlike others here, I did NOTHING about backing up anything or wiping anything. Knowing that my laptop hold only non-critical presentation data and traveling versions of the iDisc files already backed up via Apple, I just loaded the Jag disc and installed it over top of the existing system without any precautions whatsoever.

Essentially, I launched the install and went away cuz I was busy.

A couple of hours later I came back and the OS was upgraded. I tried FCP on the notebook (I do occasional editing demos from it) and everything ran perfectly. No, I did not test every nook and crannie of the program. Just basic launch and basic editing.

Again, I'm not suggesting that YOU won't have some disaster. But I DID NOT.

The stock Apple Install worked flawlessly with no hitches or "gotchas" whatsoever.

Judge your own situation, of course. But this is one voice that did one install on one basic laptop machine with ABSOLUTELY no issues so far.

YMMV.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Ward View Post
If I try to save the project with one of these Motion templates in the timeline, it gives me an "Operation not allowed" error. I remove the template from the timeline and I can save the project with no issues.
Sounds similar to permissions errors I've encountered in the past, but it should persist in Motion as well as FCP...interesting...are you familiar with unix command line stuff at all? I'd love to see 'ls -al' done on the folders with your projects and the motion templates. That would let use see the permissions on each of the files.
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #18
Major Player

You should always back up your drives no matter if you're doing a clean install or just the upgrade...either way, if anything goes wrong, you won't regret it.
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
Sounds similar to permissions errors I've encountered in the past, but it should persist in Motion as well as FCP...interesting...are you familiar with unix command line stuff at all? I'd love to see 'ls -al' done on the folders with your projects and the motion templates. That would let use see the permissions on each of the files.
Is this what your looking for? I did a check on my 10.4 system (where templates work fine) and the permissions match these. I've deleted FCP preferences and repaired permissions with Disk Utility just for grins, nothing helped. It's not a big deal as I have yet to use any of the templates in a project, but it's just the "why", you know? :-)

Let me know if you would like to see anything else. Thanks!

---------------

FCP Project:

drwxr-xr-x 3 sheila staff 102 Oct 28 22:52 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 sheila staff 136 Oct 28 13:45 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 sheila staff 31911 Oct 28 18:36 Chase1017.fcp

Motion Templates:

drwxrwxr-x 20 root admin 680 Oct 28 13:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root admin 170 Oct 27 15:20 ..
-rw-rw-r--@ 1 sheila admin 6148 Oct 28 23:01 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x 6 root admin 204 Oct 27 15:06 .localized
drwxr-xr-x 112 root admin 3808 Apr 10 2007 3D Text Projects.localized
drwxr-xr-x 28 root admin 952 Apr 11 2007 Basic White.localized
drwxr-xr-x 13 root admin 442 Apr 10 2007 Blocks.localized
drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 Brush Strokes.localized
drwxr-xr-x 28 root admin 952 Apr 10 2007 Curves.localized
drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 Fire.localized
drwxr-xr-x 16 root admin 544 Apr 10 2007 Glass Panes.localized
drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 Light.localized
drwxr-xr-x 34 root admin 1156 Apr 10 2007 Satin.localized
drwxr-xr-x 28 root admin 952 Apr 10 2007 Seasons.localized
drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 Sketch.localized
drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 Slider.localized
drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 Tech Blue.localized
drwxr-xr-x 28 root admin 952 Apr 10 2007 Travel.localized
drwxr-xr-x 28 root admin 952 Apr 10 2007 Water.localized
drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 Weave.localized

Into the "Fire" directory as an example:

drwxr-xr-x 22 root admin 748 Apr 10 2007 .
drwxrwxr-x 20 root admin 680 Oct 28 13:21 ..
drwxr-xr-x 6 root admin 204 Oct 27 15:06 .localized
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 261792 Mar 27 2007 Fire-Lower Third.NTSC.motn
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 18470772 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Lower Third.NTSC.mov
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 21717 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Lower Third.NTSC.png
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 261661 Mar 27 2007 Fire-Lower Third.PAL.motn
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 18470772 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Lower Third.PAL.mov
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 21717 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Lower Third.PAL.png
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 370168 Mar 27 2007 Fire-Mortise 1.NTSC.motn
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 20794278 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 1.NTSC.mov
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 23193 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 1.NTSC.png
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 377090 Mar 27 2007 Fire-Mortise 1.PAL.motn
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 20794278 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 1.PAL.mov
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 23193 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 1.PAL.png
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 437769 Mar 27 2007 Fire-Mortise 2.NTSC.motn
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 14852585 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 2.NTSC.mov
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 15173 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 2.NTSC.png
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 451559 Mar 27 2007 Fire-Mortise 2.PAL.motn
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 14852585 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 2.PAL.mov
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 15173 Feb 19 2007 Fire-Mortise 2.PAL.png
-r--r--r-- 1 root admin 23193 Feb 19 2007 Fire.localized.png
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #20
Trustee

I'm on FCS 1, but my permissions for my motion templates read that they are owned by root:wheel, not root:admin as yours are. You may try changing the ownership of ***ONE***
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #21
Trustee

I'm on FCS 1, but my permissions for my motion templates read that they are owned by root:wheel, not root:admin as yours are. You may try changing the ownership of ***ONE*** of them as a test. If it doesn't work, change it back to what it was.

to change owner ship:

sudo chown root:wheel /Users/Shared/Motion/Templates.localized/Basic\ White.localized

as it is owned by root, you'll need to change it as an administrator, so if the user account you're using isn't admin, you'll need to do it as admin...if the user account you're using is admin...best security practices from the *nix land say you're naughty, you should have a separate account for admin access!

Then try using that template in a project and see if you continue to have the same problem...there are files that template as well, as it's a directory, but trying at the directory level may work for you...or may not, it's just a test. The repetition and inanity of this testing is why IT folks get paid so much.
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #22
Major Player

I blogged a bunch of my experience over the weekend with Leopard and FCS et al.

http://bscenefilms.blogspot.com
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
I'm on FCS 1, but my permissions for my motion templates read that they are owned by root:wheel, not root:admin as yours are. You may try changing the ownership of ***ONE*** of them as a test. If it doesn't work, change it back to what it was.

to change owner ship:

sudo chown root:wheel /Users/Shared/Motion/Templates.localized/Basic\ White.localized
The templates are located in Library/Application Support/Final Cut Studio/Motion/Templates on my Tiger and Leopard systems. Probably a difference in FCS1 and FCS2.

I did some tests with permissions but nothing changes the result. I have an IT/Software Development background so unfortunately I'm all too familiar with this stuff :-) I'm going to leave this one alone for now, it's making my head hurt.

Another glitch I ran across today. I opened a project and got the red "The effect "SmoothCam" failed to render" message. I just closed FCP and re-opened and everything worked fine. I read somewhere (can't remember for sure, maybe the Cow forum) that this is an issue with FXPlug plug-ins and Leopard.
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughan Flynn View Post
I blogged a bunch of my experience over the weekend with Leopard and FCS et al.

http://bscenefilms.blogspot.com
Thanks, Mike (I'm assuming you prefer Mike, I hope that's correct).

Very good to know about your success in installing Leopard over the top of Tiger on the laptop. I'm very interested in your results when you do the same thing with the Mac Pro.

And thanks to Bill Davis as well for posting about your successful install of Leopard over Tiger. (Jaguar, Leopard, Panther, Tiger - I lose track of which is called which sometimes as well!)
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #25
Major Player

I did an erase and install on my Mac Pro.
Leopard and FCP2 seem a bit faster than with Tiger.

I have had no issues at all, I have a large project rendering, burned with DVDSP, and opened Live Type.

I have not tried Color, or Motion yet.

I did experience a weird thing, during the install for FCS2 it only installed each disc, meaning disc 1 installed, then finished, it was up to me to install each content disc on my own.

Leopard is pretty freaking cool, I like it, the new icon views for video in the finder are very useful for locating a video, it is just all around nice.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #26
New Boot

anybody missing their FXplugins like Vignette and SmoothCam? I can't figure out what happened. I just want to know if this is happening to anybody else.
Philip Thangsombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Always feels good to know it's not just me:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306892

(about the Master Template issue)
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM   #28
Major Player

I did an upgrade without any issues. FCP seems to be working fine.

Although I haven't checked into the templates issue as of yet.
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM   #29
Trustee

Good Job Apple!

Here is is almost a week after release and I'm actually pretty amazed at the low number of 'issues" posts here.

Apple announced that they've sold 2 MILLION copies of Leopard.

Sure I've read about glitches, mostly in the interoperability of FCP with suitemates like Motion. But over all, I've got to feel that at this level of reported problems represents a major coup for Apple in their ability to rev the whole underlying OS in such a way as to NOT cause way more problems to critical apps like FCP.

So here's kudos to the engineers on both the OS and the App side at Apple.

Seems like they did some really great work on all this.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM   #30
Major Player

I have noticed a few things.

MP3 to AIFF would crash when finished in Tiger. Works without crashing in Leopard. Version 2.5

Motion runs...smoother now.

I dont get conforming HDV when rendering HDV footage...why? it just renders it, and faster.

DVDSP is so much better in Leopard.

The ECC errors I was getting with my new memory from OWC are now gone, I have had not 1 ECC Error since installing Leopard.

I figured out how to remove the images for the dock, and make it transparent, thought the reflection thing is next.

Time Machine plain rocks, however, for a true backup of everything you own, even scratch discs, be prepared for having to buy more drives for use in TM.

Screen sharing, wow, now my wife can ask me to look at something on the laptop when she is in the living room, and I dont have to get up to go look, I can just sit my lazy ass right here and view it on my computer in the office. Thumbs up to Apple for helping me remain lazy.

Spotlight has allowed me to create a search, add arguments and narrow my results down to just FCP project files and keep that search as a fast reference, instead of looking through many drives, I click one spot and have a choice of projects.

I hate the transparency of the menu bar.

Spaces.....I am sending Steve J my first born boy for that.
Safari still crashes.

Oh, for those of you who have a Mac pro with 4 or more gigs of memory, and an ATI, try this out to see if you will lock up your computer...
Export a project in Compressor, 150min 2 pass, and run the screen saver called shell. My computer will freeze after 20 minutes. However, for some reason, compressor will continue to work, I just cant shut off the screen saver.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite