FCP <-> FCE interaction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 30th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP <-> FCE interaction

I was wondering if anyone has worked with moving projects between Final Cut Pro (6) and Final Cut Express?

I'm going to be collaborating with someone who only has access to FCE and I was wondering if there's any compatibility issues to work out?

Can he load my FCP projects in it? Any fx, transitions, etc. to avoid if he can load my projects?

Will we have to drop to doing XML exports/imports?

I don't have any experience with FCE so I don't know what to watch out for, but any help before we get rolling on this would be beneficial.

Thanks!
Kelly OHara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly OHara View Post
I was wondering if anyone has worked with moving projects between Final Cut Pro (6) and Final Cut Express?

I'm going to be collaborating with someone who only has access to FCE and I was wondering if there's any compatibility issues to work out?

Can he load my FCP projects in it? Any fx, transitions, etc. to avoid if he can load my projects?

Will we have to drop to doing XML exports/imports?

I don't have any experience with FCE so I don't know what to watch out for, but any help before we get rolling on this would be beneficial.

Thanks!
from my experience,
I believe you can go from FCE to FCP, but not from FCP to FCE.
At leasts thats how it was when I upgraded to FCP. my FCE projects read, but I couldn't open a FCP document in FCE. Hope that helps
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Good question. I'd be wary and assume that it's only one way conversion, but there is some chance it could go back and forth. However, FCP isn't very good about compatibility-- even a slight update, 5.1 to 5.1.4 gives a message "this project must be updated", if I recall correctly.

FCE and FCP are basically the same program now, with more interaction with the suite [and the suite itself] with FCP. FCP also has a few more plugins that are not in FCE, so you would want to be careful of using those if it did work.

I'd guess, though, that EDLs or XML would be fairly smooth because they are so similar. I tried that with a friend of mine working with Premiere on a PC.... no go. But with FCE, I wouldn't be surprised if it's easy.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I'll post an update if I can figure out how to make it work outside of the EDLs and XML.
Kelly OHara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
FCE and FCP are basically the same program now, with more interaction with the suite [and the suite itself] with FCP.
Honestly I haven't kept up with the latest versions of either application recently, but I think there are some major differences. Unless I'm mistaken, FCE can't edit 24p for example. Compare the specs of the two programs here:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...pro/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/specs.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Basically the latest FCE is what FCP was before it went to editing HD
Nate Benson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite